Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best tomato recipe  (Read 5172 times)

ArosP

• Joined Jul 2012
Best tomato recipe
« on: August 30, 2015, 08:21:41 pm »
I have just brought in a big bowl of tomatoes and was wondering what folk think is the best way of using them. I sometimes make tomato sauces and chutneys but wonder if there are better ways of getting the very best from them .

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Best tomato recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 01:57:40 am »
Tomato soup?  There is a nice recipe on here that Rosemary and Dan use.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 07:53:53 am »
I made some chilli and tomato jam using Sarah Raven's recipe (I found it on line). It is really tasty, quite hot and very addictive. I have some in my sandwiches for today's public spinning demonstration at Lustleigh show!

ArosP

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 08:24:32 am »
I do regulary make that chili jam it is delicious, Think tomato soup for tonight

ArosP

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:27:45 am »
Just looked at recipe Bionic and its tinned tomatoes! Think i will make a tomato tart tonight. Made a lovely one out of Guardian recipes recently that had a layer of creamy fennel under the toms, well half of us thought it was lovely, an acquired taste i think!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 10:16:25 am »
ArosP,
Just dug out the recipe that I use myself.

olive oil
small onion, diced
small carrot, diced
1 stick of celery, diced
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs of thyme (I don't use this)
2 cloved of garlic, minced
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 kg ripe tomatoes, quartered and cored (I don't bother coring)
1 litre of veg or chicken stock
100ml white wine vinegar (sparse measure)
2 tbsp sugar

saute onions, carrot, celery, bay leaf, thyme, and garlic for 2 mins
add tomato puree for 2 mins
add tomatoes and cook for 5 mins with lid on
add stock and simmer for 15 mins
blitz it all together
heat vinegar and sugar and add to soup a little at a time to taste.

I really like this tomato soup and its not far away from Heinz tomato, if you like that
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 10:42:39 am »
Sugo pomodoro Napolitana....for use with any pasta dishes - mmm! :) .

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 12:40:47 pm »
If you have delicious tomatoes, make them even more delicious by roasting them before making soup with them.  My favourite.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 12:54:03 pm »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 11:53:10 pm »
On Thursday we reduced about two gallons of home grown toms to a sieved thick pulp after skinning them 7 giving them a quick whiz in the food processor ( plastic blade )  to get them going .
 my next todo task on the desk's note pad ( old scrapped paper cut up & stapled ) is to find a different tomato ketchup recipe.
We'd like to find six or seven then hot water bath preserve the end results leave them a few months to develop some maturity and see what we like best .

Has any one tried making one using ginger and or cinnamon or different spices .
I have just brought in a big bowl of tomatoes and was wondering what folk think is the best way of using them. I sometimes make tomato sauces and chutneys but wonder if there are better ways of getting the very best from them .

I'm having thin ham sliced  covered with 1/4 " thick tomato slices ,topped with  fetta or preferable hallumi cheese and laced with a sweet orange flavoured balsamic vinegar for lunch tomorrow and quite a few there after as we'vegot a big crop of large money maker toms  starting to show ready in th glasshouse .

All the plum and beefsteak toms are  finished ( not enough sun /heat  ),  they went into the puree we made.

you can freeze toms with out any preparation just bung them in a bag and put them in the freezer ..they stay like red snooker balls  . Drop them in stews still frozen , they'll thaw & cook out nicely .
If you thaw them they end up wet & mushy but can be used as frying pan material .

You should not try and make uncooked food or drinks out of them if they have been or are frozen they must always be cooked .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 02:11:49 pm »
I cooked up a load of tomatoes with onions, garlic and grated courgette, blended and froze as pasta sauce. Killed 2 birds with 1 stone.  :thumbsup:
________
Caroline

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 02:39:11 pm »
I cooked up a load of tomatoes with onions, garlic and grated courgette, blended and froze as pasta sauce. Killed 2 birds with 1 stone.  :thumbsup:
Well thats not nice is it ;)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS