Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs' ears  (Read 2275 times)

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
Pigs' ears
« on: August 30, 2015, 06:43:26 pm »
Overheard a conversation the other day and am interested to hear what you all think of this- is it the case that piglets can be born with prick ears and, as they mature, end up with lop ears?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Pigs' ears
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 07:27:09 pm »
Not sure about that, would have to google it..... My large blacks were born with floppy ears, gorgeous they looked.   :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 08:06:52 pm »
If they are born with small/light ears then the cartlidge can hold them up but if the ear gets too big/heavyt it can only flop, so I'd say it could happen

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 09:05:34 pm »
I wouldn't call them "pricked" like a Hampshire for instance but I have seen lop eared piglets that have ears that are not fully down and they do come down with time. I have also known ones whose ears are curled back and up and they never come down properly.

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 09:06:28 pm »
Must admit I've had far more lop eared wearers than pricked but they all definitely stayed as they were, but they were all sent off as porkers so never got chance to see the long term view and my piggy mentor only has lop-eared breeding stock too!

jward

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Stockton-on-Tees
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 10:44:06 pm »
All my lop eared piglets seem to be born with pricked ears - it always looks as though it's from where they've been pinned back while in the sac - but then they usually flop within a day or two.  There was a runt in my last litter whose ears didn't flop for a couple of weeks though and I assume it was because of the small size - it looked quite strange to have a prick eared GOS!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 11:01:50 am »
Our GOS occasionally have prick ears for a few days but they always flop in the end.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS