Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transportin Young weaners - how far is too far?  (Read 4897 times)

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
Transportin Young weaners - how far is too far?
« on: August 30, 2015, 04:22:12 pm »
Hi

We would dearly love to have 3 or 4 weaners (OS&B would be our preference) however we are struggling to find breeders anywhere near our location in Stranraer. It would appear that we might have to travel a fair way to source them and we are concerned about the potential distances involved. Assuming we have the appropriate livestock trailer - and would make sure we did have - what would be an acceptable distance to transport them?

HappyHippy

Re: Transportin Young weaners - how far is too far?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 06:19:48 pm »
Have you tried Cath at Thornielee in the Borders? She's on here as Tiva Diva if you want to pm her  ;)
As for how far is too far? Young stock travel from the south of England on ferries and by car to Europe on a regular basis without problems.......as long as you keep them well ventilated and stop every few hours to offer water (assuming its a sunny/hot day) they should be fine.
You've got a saddleback breeder just up the road at Port Logan too if they might be better/easier than OSB's .
HTH

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 06:35:16 pm »
Pigs tend to travel very well. Give them enough room to all lie down comfortably, get up and turn round without standing all over each other and make sure they have plenty of ventilation. It is usually the economics of the cost of fuel and time that puts people off travelling distances.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 10:31:05 am »
Just follow the animal welfare transport regulations for pigs to the letter and you (and the weaners) should be fine. :thumbsup: .

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 10:42:39 am »
Do you use facebook? There may be some on the Scottish Smallholder group or the rare breeds for sale or wants sites.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 01:54:38 pm »
I transported 9 Kunes in a horsebox, 4 hour drive with no problems, they slept most of the time!!  ;D

I had a water trough and food there for them but they just dug into the hay and slept!  :innocent:

Imafluffybunny

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 08:49:22 pm »
Paul and Caroline if you find some OS&B weaners will you let me know? I'm in Dumfries and would like to try this breed, normally keep Old Spot but never been able to find any within a reasonable distance.

IretonsFarm

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 09:07:55 am »
Basically anything under 40 miles and as a farmer you are exempt from the need to get a certificate of competence but this is a fairly simple explanation of the rules:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/69377/pb12544d-pigs-080711.pdf

Or more detailed here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/farm-animal-welfare-during-transportation

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs you will of course still need to ensure the appropriate movement license has been logged by the person you are collecting them from and that you have your CHP and herd numbers in place.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 11:00:41 am »
Once kept OSBs. Very noisy at mealtimes - our neighbour a mile away across the valley always knew when we were taking stock to market because he heard them kicking up a racket at their earlier breakfast time.  Vwery good meat - our local butcher tried one and asked for 5 a week!  Give them plenty of straw to bed down in and make sure they've had access to water up to loading and they'll be fine for a couple of hours. I don't like small trailers in hot weather as there''s no air intake at the front or sides of the trailer. We once had someone bring in a sow for service by our hire boar on a very hot day (instead of waiting for evening, as we'd suggested) and she was so distressed we had to leave her in the trailer and sponge her down with tepid water for half an hour before she'd unload.  That was not good stockmanship.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 04:33:38 pm »
Has anyone done the licence / certificate to transport livestock? I was thinking of doing it just so that I know what the official line is.

IretonsFarm

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 05:39:21 pm »
My neighbors run a commercial animal transport business so I can ask them but I think it is basically the information in those links, just a way of proving you've read and understood the regs really.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 05:53:48 pm »
I did look into doing it Buffy but it was a lot of money just to sit a test. Certainly here, when I asked, they don't give you any tuition.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 06:03:02 pm »
Several of us quite a few years ago sat the test to transport pigs. Not difficult and it was an online test of multiple choice questions. When this was first introduced several local opportunities were organised at village hall etc where local farmers and livestock keepers could access the tests.

I don't know anyone who has been asked for their certificate.

You have to do a separate one for each type of livestock including transporting poultry. I can't remember the cost but each livestock test is charged for so it can get costly.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 06:09:14 pm »
I seem to remember doing one for sheep and cattle and a separate set of questions for pigs.  It was quite a few years ago.  No-one has ever asked to see my licence.  I have a nice NPTC sticker for my 4x4 window.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 07:19:57 pm »
I got my 8 hr license for free. We travelled 4 hours plus and they slept whole way.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS