Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Skin problem?  (Read 2810 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Skin problem?
« on: August 29, 2015, 01:13:46 pm »
HI
when I checked sheep on wednesday evening one of them looked to have white bits on her rump, and big red raw patches, by the time I got her inside to look they looked like clumps of fly eggs.
with help from a friend, we trimmed the wool back, white was somethig strange, but there were some maggots on her tail, friend commented her tail seemed swollen at the top. (she's a Swaledale so they left her tail on). we treated her with Crovect, gave her a shot of AB.
Up till this morning she seemed OK, this morning had open wound again.
before shearing they were scratching a lot, someone suggested lice, so after shearing I put some louse powder on, (I realised after Wednesday this may be what the white stuff was)
Shearing was July 5th
she's currently in a small field with fieldshelter with her lamb, I'd hoped to get her back in her own field this weekend but not till this is sorted.
any advice please?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Skin problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 01:23:02 pm »
was her wool coming away at all? I would take the pics to the vet and explain the symptoms just to be on the safe side.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 01:50:52 pm »
No, wool is OK

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 01:55:24 pm »
Could she have had a fight with dog/badger? If there are chunks of skin/wool missing (and no maggots in them)?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 02:01:17 pm »
the original sores I could have imagined that, that did cross my mind, there is a badgers sett lower down, and dogs a vague possibility (V.rarely used footpath), but not this mornings sore, away from public access and no access for badgers, uness they actualy climb over sheep netting, because no holes underneath, gate is mesh to the ground.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 03:53:32 pm »
Might she have been attacked then flies laid eggs in the wound?  I'd go for the vet as the next step - not worth treating for lice, etc., if it's not.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 10:57:08 pm »
She's not horned, is she?  One of my Manxes has made a mess of her rear end, using her horns to scratch at flies that were bothering her.  She had been Crovected, but she must have opened the skin scratching, so then the headflies got on feeding on that, which irritated her more...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 02:05:42 pm »
Hi, wound is clean, sprayed with septiclense yeaterday.
she does have horns, but I noticed as soon as she went in the field shelter she was rubbing her rump on the bottom corner of the hay rack, presume that's what caused such damage.
Seems fine in herself generally.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS