Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Elmwood College Farm coming up for Sale, Cupar  (Read 3367 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Elmwood College Farm coming up for Sale, Cupar
« on: August 28, 2015, 05:35:20 pm »

one might need big pockets but who knows, it might be of interest. Watch this space, it was only announced in the local  paper today.

http://www.soilassociation.org/visitanorganicfarm/visitanorganicfarm/articleid/1337/elmwood-college-farm-fife

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Elmwood College Farm coming up for Sale, Cupar
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 06:03:00 pm »
What kind of agri college doesn't have a farm?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 06:08:44 pm »
very good question indeed, Rosemary ...

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 08:53:57 pm »
It wont be the last farm for sale this year...there are a lot of farms on the market at the moment and I'll bet that there may be more before the year is out as a result of the current farming situation.
Well Elmwood is now part of SRUC so who knows......its perhaps part of a plan to put all agri based courses to the main campus at Abdn, Ed & Auchincruive.  Who knows what goes through the managements minds.
I did my tattie roguing course at Elmwood - happy days!

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 09:55:16 pm »
I did two years at Elmwood in the 70s. Happy days indeed I often think about my fellow classmates and what they are doing now.

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 06:39:07 pm »
I think its only one of the farms that they have.

Postie Ted

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 01:32:04 pm »
Hi there , just joined .   
I had the privilege of being the herdsman / dairyman at Elmwood College Farm for seven years until the Dairy herd were dispersed in February / March 1999 .
It was a very happy place to work along with Peter McKinnon , farm manager , and the rest of the team , including the farm's own workshop , where it was not unusual to see various tractors or implements under repair .  We provided the infra structure for the various lecturers to use . Various groups of students used the facility : agricultural , small animals , gamekeepers , general students et al .

At that time there were pigs , beef cattle , sheep , small animals , a dairy herd , as well as a arable , with the tattie plots as already mentioned for the rouging courses .

It was a fully functioning farm , there basically for the students , but also welcomed school parties from all over Fife , and beyond , sometimes two or three bus loads a day .

Sad to see the farm go , it provided employment for a lot of people , as well as a local training base for the students .
Since SRUC took over , it seems to have been in limbo , just waiting to be asset stripped no doubt , as it must be worth millions . No doubt the land will eventually have houses built on it , lost to agriculture for ever .

As you might have guessed , I am now a postman , although I loved the time at Elmwood College Farm , and was always prepared to give the stock in my charge the care they needed  24 / 7 .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS