Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ponds, hens and ducks  (Read 1499 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Ponds, hens and ducks
« on: August 28, 2015, 12:07:29 pm »
Just a general topic for discussion.

I have a sort of wild life type pond in my back garden - about a metre and a bit deep right in the centre, and about 3 metres across. It has a bank around it with fairly mature plants - ivy, hollyhocks, sedum, geraniums, aquilegia - you name it - if someone offered it I said yes, to fill the gaps between the weeds. It isn't lined and goes up and down in levels with the water table, although I can top it up with the hose if it gets low

Hopefully sometime soon, when my son has time to install the pallet fence along the edge of the grass to keep the dogs in, my hens and ducks will be let out of their large metal dog runs to free range and eat my weeds, and I'm prepared for them to eat some of my plants too.  I'll protect my raised beds with veg in them although as they are two and a half feet board boxes it's unlikely the birds would hop up there until they've cleared everything on ground level.

The area is about a third of an acre all told including the grass and decking at my conservatory doors - house/grass/ large gravel driveway/dog runs/pond/raised beds - roughly in that order

The ducks will love the pond, but I wonder if they'd also clear any fish that I put in there.  I haven't bought any fish  yet, just wondered if I'd be wasting my money and sending them to a gruesome death anyway.
Did a rough drawing

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:58:47 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Ponds, hens and ducks
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 12:28:52 pm »
In my opinion, ornamental ponds and ducks don't mix. I have had a nice pond in the past with fish and other wildlife and it turned into a not particularly pleasant place.
I love to see the ducks on the water but it seems you can't really have both.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 12:53:21 pm »
You are right. The ducks will love it but they will turn it into a green muddy puddle in no time at all. They will also trample over your lovely plants. Best to keep them away I'm afraid.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 12:58:56 pm »
Also don't be  so sure that your hens will read your instructions about not raiding your veg beds. Our fruit and veg aren't in raised beds but they are completely enclosed in 5ft high netting. yet as soon as they see/smell my husband digging they fly over to "help" and for a day thereafter we have to keep shooing them out as they seem to really like the freshly hoed ground
Is it time to retire yet?

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 01:59:27 pm »
Yep I agree with everything said. One if my chickens does the great escape over 3ft fencing everyday, if there is an incentive you can bet a few will find a way.

Also agree re the ducks, I was shocked how quickly they can make a clean pond a complete mess, poo everywhere, plants trodden or eaten, after a week the smell that is then generated. I'm afraid it is a choice between nice pond or duck pond.
________
Caroline

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 02:03:15 pm »
The raised beds are protected by netting, and there will be a chicken wire fence round the outside perimeter of the boxes.  Perhaps I'll just let them out on the odd occasion then - their birthdays maybe  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS