Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric fencing  (Read 2928 times)

Je

• Joined May 2015
Electric fencing
« on: August 28, 2015, 06:38:05 am »
I wonder if anyone could advise me please. I am thinking of electric fencing for my zwarbles and C ryelands. Only a small line of 50m or in Summer a small paddock. Would it be best to buy netting or rope.  Wondered also if anyone has a nice Coloured Ryeland tup, in the West of Scotland I could borrow for my 2 girls, November time? Thanks for reading.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: Electric fencing
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 07:07:10 am »
Wire, 3 strands. Better conductor and less likely to short out than netting
But for 50m I would just put up a permanent fence if possible

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 07:39:48 am »
Wire gets my vote but I use the horse tape most of the time as it is easier to wrap up and store. 

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 07:44:20 am »
I dont use the strand but use lots of the netting for my Ryelands but my neighbour keeps Zwartbles and uses the strand.  I find the netting quicker and easier to make a barrier when I an doing it on my own. The cheapest I have found is Mole valley online. They get cheaper the more that you buy. If you dont need that many perhaps you could share an order with a friend.?

If my battery fails I find the netting still provides a barrier that they would have to get through but with the wire they can just hop over or squeeze under. Permanant fencing is always the most secure but not always the most practical.

I have a superb Coloured Ryeland ram lamb for sale from excellent winning lines and will be coming up to Lanacshire in Nov but I hire my tups out.

HTH

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 08:53:14 pm »
 :wave: Hi, I have Zwartbles and use the horse tape electric fencing.  Worked well so far.  Once the lambs have had a zap or two they respect it and don't forget.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 01:55:31 pm »
I found mine respected it when newly shorn, but as their fleeece got thicker they lost that 'respect'.

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 09:16:25 pm »
For your own peace of mind and getting a nights sleep, just stock fence 50m.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS