Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Time spent managing your smallholding - land / creatures / plants?  (Read 9167 times)

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
Hi all

Bit of a variable question I know, but how long roughly do you spend managing your land / small holding / animals / plants on a monthly or yearly basis?

As I said, I know this will vary a lot depending on what you have, what you do, how you do it, and how much of it you do! But I'm wondering how much time is required to run / maintain a small holding? In my case, it will hopefully be a largely tree (woodland) and grass based smallholding, maybe 5 acres in total size. I don't intend to keep many animals, due to the time and costs associated with them. (Though never say never!) So I'd think that a couple of hours a week would keep the woodland in reasonable shape (once established), and a couple of hours mowing of paths etc. a month maybe would keep my grassland accessible. I've probably forgotten a few things - hedgelaying, fencing, maybe cutting grass off wildflower meadows to keep fertility down...

Can anyone give me an idea of time taken to manage just your land, and just your creatures too?

Many thanks.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Time spent managing your smallholding - land / creatures / plants?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 03:23:03 pm »
I don't intend to keep many animals,

When you say not many animals, do you know roughly how many and what?
This will impact greatly on the time.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 03:23:48 pm »
I would be surprised if a couple of hours on each, each month would be anywhere enough during the summer. Once the grass starts growing its a never ending task keeping it reasonable even with some sheep to 'mow' it. We only have 2.5 acres and OH spends quite a lot of his time doing something. Triming back hedges, repairing fences, mowing the fields, getting rid of unwanted weeds, dock, thistle, ragwort, buttercups, dandelion........
You need to keep a hand on it or else it will get away from you.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 03:34:50 pm »
I don't intend to keep many animals,

When you say not many animals, do you know roughly how many and what?
This will impact greatly on the time.

I would anticipate probably a dog and a few chickens at most! Not much at all, as I imagine the animals to be the most time consuming part...

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 03:37:55 pm »
I would be surprised if a couple of hours on each, each month would be anywhere enough during the summer. Once the grass starts growing its a never ending task keeping it reasonable even with some sheep to 'mow' it. We only have 2.5 acres and OH spends quite a lot of his time doing something. Triming back hedges, repairing fences, mowing the fields, getting rid of unwanted weeds, dock, thistle, ragwort, buttercups, dandelion........
You need to keep a hand on it or else it will get away from you.

I hope to have mainly woodland, which will require less time (and mowing) than grass. If we do end up with grassed areas, I'd only mow an immediate lawn regularly. Any meadows / fields would have the odd path chopped out of them every so often with a tractor and topper / flail, but otherwise be left to grow mainly. Perhaps fully chopped once a year, or lent to others to graze from time to time, perhaps.

I'm looking for a smallholding which isn't too time or labour intensive!

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 03:59:29 pm »
If I don't spend a few hours a week out with the strimmer, our six acres runs completely out of control - that's before animals, veg and the rest of the maintenance.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 04:18:31 pm »
When does a piece of land become a smallholding?  When he stopped farming, my father kept on about 10 acres of wooded land, but he was not a smallholder.  He spent as much or as little time as he wanted to with the trees, but then he loved them for themselves so wasn't just maintaining them.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 04:53:58 pm »
True.

But I thought I'd better call it a smallholding or I'd be shunned from this fine forum!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 05:06:55 pm »
Hens are probably my most time consuming animal ... need to let out and put in every day (early..ish and late) .... feed and clean out.  .... need to be near your house preferably.   

Not really sure what you want the land for?  If it is just to be able to get out and enjoy some woodland/countryside maybe you could volunteer with  BTCV or woodland trust.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 09:28:13 pm »
Thanks for the comments, all.

Maybe not chickens then! Don't want to commit to too much.

I'd like to have my own woodland so I can spend time there, plan it, nurture it and watch it change as my plans come (hopefully) to fruition. I have volunteered before, but it's not quite the same.

Anyone here mainly do woodland?! I assume not...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 09:29:12 pm »
True.

But I thought I'd better call it a smallholding or I'd be shunned from this fine forum!

We never shun anyone on TAS  :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 10:39:04 pm »
Does this help? We are novices and do not have any animals yet. Our 3.5 acres is split into 1 acre of garden and the rest hill side  paddocks. We tried the mowing of grass paths only but quickly realised we were going to be over run. We now do about 25 hours between Mrs Ghdp and I each week just  keeping on top of MOST of it but we could easily do more hours. Not having grazing animals yet is both a problem and a deliberate choice. Hedges are a constant challenge.
We may speed up but we agree with Bionic. It is an endless but thoroughly enjoyable task.

Another way of looking at it is that in 12 weeks I have gone from a 38 inch waiste to 34, have lost over a stone and sleep like I have not slept in years!

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 12:56:08 am »
Just to add to ghdp's point- I spend less time overall now we have sheep - they're quick and easy to look after each day but keep the land under control with no effort - although that comes (for us) with a lot of extra work with lambing/shearing etc. but at least that's confined to a few weeks a year.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 07:31:48 am »
Sending more tree love  :tree: :tree: :tree:  as all are welcome here  ;D
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 08:53:28 am »
Sorry to put a tiny note of controversy in this (I can't get any emoticons up to soften anything!) but I hope you would spend more than a few hours a week with your dog?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS