Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: MUD!! Already  (Read 1873 times)

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
MUD!! Already
« on: August 27, 2015, 11:45:27 am »
Morning all

I can't believe it is August and our pig are already knee deep in mud.

We have four 4 month old weaners that we will rear on for pork and hope to send off at the end of the year.

When we had pigs last time for meat it was 2013 and we ended up having to bring them into the barn as the mud got so bad.

I am posting this as I am just curious how you all deal with the mud.  I can't really afford to move them onto a new space as I know they will just turn it exactly the same in a short period of time.  Do you worry about the pigs being in deep mud or am I being an old fusser??

Like I said, I can bring them into the barn and finish them there but not sure if I am worrying for no reason.

Thanks
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: MUD!! Already
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 02:58:27 pm »
Steph, we are in exactly the same position. The last weaners we had were also in 2013 when the mud was even worse, if it can actually get worse.

Luckily mine only have another month to go so I think we can stick it out. But fingers crossed  :fc: I am hoping for a dry, sunny september.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 08:37:55 pm »
I was about to post on the same topic. I can't believe there is this much mud in August! I have moved the feed trough twice so that I don't get stuck when I feed them. I'm running out of dry-ish bits of ground. :(

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 08:32:06 am »
I would say if you have housing to move them in there until the ground dries out.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 09:00:56 am »
I have a sandy soil so dont get mud. Best for keeping pigs apparently which is nice to have a positive as there are a number of negatives to sandy soil.

We have had some real heavy rain this month after a really dry start to the year but the forecast suggests it will settle down again. I think its worth taking them off for the time being but if it's a recurring problem it might be worth letting them work a couple of tons of sand into it and digging a drainage ditch if possible.

If you end up resowing it each year it could be worth looking at pro pig for suitable grasses to help with this?

:raining: :pig:  = :'(

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 09:03:20 am »
Ours aren't too bad despite almost double the average summer rainfall up here (it's kunekune though so not as much rooting to deal with  ;))
Moving them regularly helps - we used to have two pens for weaners they got about 6 weeks at a time on each. Solid ground around feed/water areas helps - either under trees so the roots provide stability or get some old paving slabs and bed them in to the soft mud. Keep the pigs off until they 'set' and they're pretty unmovable.
Deep, cold mud for extended periods of time can lead to arthritis, but pigs for the freezer won't be around long enough for it to affect them. Breeding stock should be kept on dry ground (or brought in) to ensure long breeding lives.
The real problem with mud and growing weaners is your safety... As they get bigger and the mud gets worse, there's more chance of you getting stuck/knocked over - it's definitely worth having some solid footing. Ask me how I know  :innocent: ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS