Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep behaviour  (Read 4401 times)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Sheep behaviour
« on: August 27, 2015, 11:16:51 am »
Does anyone know of a book l could buy about the psychology of sheep ?
Read so many posts on sheep behavior l am curious to learn more.  :thinking:

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: Sheep behaviour
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 11:29:36 am »
Livestock Behaviour by Kilgour & Dalton

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 12:18:22 pm »
I managed to find this book online a few months ago. Chapter 5 gives a good introduction.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 05:00:25 pm »
you could try a book by Froyd.  Of course, it will be about the psychology of humans but they are much the same as sheep....only less likeable.  Present company excepted of course.  :-J

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 05:14:14 pm »
Any relation to Freud? :thinking:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 05:16:01 pm »
Temple Grandin gives a good insight, from the perspective of a sufferer of Asperger's Syndrome, of what life looks like to a sheep.  Having just had an RPA sheep inspection mine are totally bemused by human behaviour.  Why would they have to be bundled through the race whilst a strange man waves a beeping stick over their tags?  Humans are SO odd!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 05:35:00 pm »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 09:26:07 pm »
This is a totally useless reply, but my late aunt, who was a research scientist back in the day, co-wrote a book about sheep behavioural psychology in about the '60s.  It was based on long and very tedious (or so it seems to me)  research on Oz sheep stations as well as closer to home.  She would sit for long hours, plagued by the dreaded Ozzie fly, noting down every tiny thing the sheep did.  Some of her research was with Soay back in Britain, whose behaviour bears no comparison with their distant Oz cousins.  I do have a copy of the book, but I'm sure it's been out of print for decades.  See, totally useless  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 01:26:30 am »
Well Fleecewife, I for one think it fascinating that your Aunt was a sheep psychology pioneer.  Many years go I came across Prof Timbergen on Ravenglass bird reserve studying adders. I was not so keen to find them.......

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 01:49:45 pm »
Well Fleecewife, I for one think it fascinating that your Aunt was a sheep psychology pioneer.  Many years go I came across Prof Timbergen on Ravenglass bird reserve studying adders. I was not so keen to find them.......

I see you are from Cambs - that's where my aunt was based - Babraham, where she kept her Soays.

I didn't know Tinbergen studied adders - yes, not quite so harmless as sheep.  Wasn't his initial research on bird fixation?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 10:34:54 pm »
This is a totally useless reply, but my late aunt, who was a research scientist back in the day, co-wrote a book about sheep behavioural psychology in about the '60s.  It was based on long and very tedious (or so it seems to me)  research on Oz sheep stations as well as closer to home.  She would sit for long hours, plagued by the dreaded Ozzie fly, noting down every tiny thing the sheep did.  Some of her research was with Soay back in Britain, whose behaviour bears no comparison with their distant Oz cousins.  I do have a copy of the book, but I'm sure it's been out of print for decades.  See, totally useless  ;D
Whats the name of the book, book NO. etc, etc? Maybe we could find a copy on amazon/ebay?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS