Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moveable Poultry Fencing  (Read 4328 times)

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Moveable Poultry Fencing
« on: August 26, 2015, 12:23:42 pm »
Just wondering if anyone can suggest/share experiences regarding poultry netting (electric or otherwise).
When we are out at work or away from the house, our new residents (call ducks) will be in a converted and reinforced rabbit run (roofed) with access to their hut.
Once we are at home, the plan is to let them out to have a bit of a wander about in the garden/paths and so a moveable netting type fence would be ideal. 
Should we get an electric kit for the fence (might deter our dogs too) or should we be okay with just the plain netting to coral them in?
Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Re: Moveable Poultry Fencing
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 04:44:17 pm »
My neighbour uses it for his hens as he had  a lot of losses to foxes. The problem he finds is keeping the grass strimmed underneath it....he was having to do it every few days.  Previously people here have suggested slabs under the fence, or gravel, or that anti-weed sheeting (cant remember its name).
Ive noticed recently that my neighbour seems to have got fed up with his strimming, which negates the effect of the fence.
Is it time to retire yet?

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 09:14:21 pm »
I use it and my comments would be that if you are going to move the pen every week or so it's fine. If not, you will either have to stop the grass growing under it or you will be in a world of pain. It does work, don't get me wrong and I think it has it's place. But. In the spring / summer the grass will grow up and short it out. You can try to stop this and many have with things like DPC etc. In the winter, it will blow over if you are anywhere exposed. If you do lapse and let the grass grow though it, you'll have a hell of a game removing it as it will grab it like steel.

I think the thing is, it's not the solution they say it is. If you look at someone like Joel Salatin who moves his hens every day, it's amazing. If you are looking to make a semi-permanent pen then you are going to have to think about the grass issue and also maybe put in a few proper posts at the corners and maybe one per side to hold it all up in really bad weather.

I haven't given up on it (yet) but I do also run a 5 strand polywire electric fence around the outside of my nets as double insurance. It's a really good product and does keep everything out, as long as it is working and upright. One pen may be manageable. I've got 9 and it's all getting a bit much to be honest!

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 12:30:23 pm »
I use 300 metres of netting as a permanent setup  and it's great, never lost a bird yet  :fc: but as above grass is a nightmare, but with a really good (powerfull ) mains energiser It copes with a lot of growth I mow mine around 4 times a yr but it's still a days Work!

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 01:16:59 pm »
How do you mow it? Move it first? I considered having fixed corners trigged up to wooden posts and then sort of 'bowing' the lengths so you can bow them either way if you see what I mean. You mow the outer bit and then bow it out and then next time you can mow the inner bit and bow it back in. So the edges are not straight. But that might cause it's own issues.

I also have undulating land and it doesn't like that much. I generally disconnect the bottom 2 wires as they drag on the ground somewhere.

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 06:24:33 pm »
That's exactly what I do stereo  :thumbsup:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 12:41:28 am »
I use Omlet netting (not electric) within the runs to separate breeding groups. Works fine with the chickens but the ducks and geese can eat through it or dive underneath (the duck speciality) so it's not great for waterfowl. At least they wouldn't do that if it was electrified!

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 07:09:07 pm »
My geese are currently behind a very simple temporary fence. It's a roll of chicken wire (50m for £25) held up by steel road pins (about £1.20 each). The bottom is held down where necessary by 'tent pegs' which I made from some fence wire.
It was the cheapest solution I could think of, and so far is doing a grand job. The geese have loads of grass and no particular incentive to get to the other side. Also they are shut in at night.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: Moveable Poultry Fencing - Update
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 10:01:42 pm »
Thanks all for your comments and thoughts.  Well just to give an update...
I have opted for some electric poultry netting (50m long x 1.22m high).  It arrived last week and it seems to do the job just great.  We haven't electrified it at the moment but that may change in time - it keeps our dogs out and keeps duckducks in which is the main point of it.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 10:37:28 pm »
Maybe if a 300 OR 400 mm wide damp proof course ( wide wall building ) type membrane is available at the right price & you can also get hold of a hundred or so 6 " nails you can set the fence spikes down the middle of the DPC , pin it down the middle every 400 to 500 mm  with the nails and use a petrol strimmer to cut the grass back from the edges.

You could make washers for the nails out of old car tyres or old conveyor belting , carpet etc etc. to allow you to pull the nails up easier if/when you want to move it about .
  I doubt it would get ripped up by the wind if fixed down in this manner .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 09:04:17 am »
We tried the DPC route and although it does work, the grass tends to push it up at the edges, causing a channel which can then fill with water. I've heard other people saying that eventually the grass dies off so I'm thinking I might try it again. If the fence is permanent, the key might be to mow the grass off really short in winter and put it down then. It might kill off most of the growth before spring.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS