Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Maggots on goat wound  (Read 6980 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Maggots on goat wound
« on: August 26, 2015, 10:56:33 am »
I have a billie that's horn has broken at the base recently . Last night I noticed maggots in wound. Have flushed out and applied purple spray. About to tackle further.

What's the best course of action,  I have ivermectin and crovect on hand, will any of these products help.

Should I give antibiotic shot?

Any advice appreciated,  cheers mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Maggots on goat wound
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 12:08:19 pm »
Yes to AB's and yes you could put some crovect on, but just a drop or so. I have used Plaster tar spray for these kind of wounds, it forms a dry layer on top and smells quite strongly. It is the Horsey stuff I get.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 01:16:12 pm »
Thanks anke for response , did what you advised,  so  :fc:

The wound looked clean then When I put on crovect maggots oozed out all over. I went to get tweezers to pick them off but goat was getting stressed when I tried to re catch him so I have left him for a wee while. Will the crovect kill the maggots and any eggs
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 01:28:35 pm »
Depends how deep the wound is and how far the maggots have got in, but as far as I know Crovect should kill them. But they do need to be flushed out, otherwise they start to decompose in there. On a serious case I had with a lamb a few years back my vet advised to bath/flush the wounds daily with Savlon solution (made with previously boiled lukewarm water) and squirted right in.

But defo AB's. Probably house rest if possible for a few days, just so you can get to him easily.... and lots of treats while you are "working" on him.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 02:52:54 pm »
Thank you

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 12:30:00 am »
how is he?

JTFarms

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 05:56:17 am »
I have always used pure Apple cider vinegar the one with the mothers still in it for all wounds on my sheep as this is a organic raised herd for consumption of the meat just pour it on full strength
James

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 09:18:54 am »
He is fine and dandy.

I applied a few drops of crovect as advised, kept in  and separated from others, after a few days reintroduced him to the wethers where he has been butting again and caused further breakage but I'm keeping a much closer eye on it this time

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS