Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Insect trap  (Read 5353 times)

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
Insect trap
« on: August 26, 2015, 01:04:42 am »
Any suggestions for the best insect trap?

Some have suggested one of thee UV electric traps.....

http://www.amazon.com/Dynatrap-DT1050-Outdoor-Insect-Trap/dp/B008JGMOGK

All the wasps and other pests end up in a tray in the bottom, you can even dry them out and grind them up to me insect flour????

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Insect trap
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 08:37:44 am »
Trouble is they catch ALL insects not just the ones you don't want around!

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 09:37:40 pm »
If you live in the west country Mole Valley sells two or three models at a good price. They occassionaly zap a small moth but on the whole stick to flies. :)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 11:59:55 pm »
What sort of insect do you want them for and where will it be ?
 I had double tube Insecticutors in my small fully closed up filtered air in , very slight vacuum extraction out mammal sheds.

I found Ihad to empty the 24 x 8 x 3 inch deep trays every other third or fourth day day , they were full of dead Mozzies , blue bottles and no end of wasps . There were very very few honey bees from our 14  hive apiary that was situated 30 mtrs away .

Wasps can get in through tiny openings , IE. under doors  and remembered  where they came in so they could get out if they got passed the electric zapper.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 05:08:37 am »
Trouble is they catch ALL insects not just the ones you don't want around!

Yes even our precious bees. But it's mainly the drones who don't live long anyway, and they are soon replaced.

I'm interested in finding ways to eat the insects that we catch. All around the world they eat them, I have spent some time in the Far East and tried many insect dishes.

They even spend time breeding them, but ant see the point inthat. I want to keep the pests numbers down and try making insect flour to add to my one broth.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 03:27:08 pm »

I'm interested in finding ways to eat the insects that we catch. All around the world they eat them, I have spent some time in the Far East and tried many insect dishes.

They even spend time breeding them, but ant see the point inthat. I want to keep the pests numbers down and try making insect flour to add to my one broth.

I breed crickets, mealworms and Dubia beetles for animal food although i have tried them myself.

garlic salted oven roasted crickets are a particular favourite  :thumbsup:

p.s. I've replied on your pigeon posts

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 11:38:07 pm »
Come on Clansman , tell us more about the insects .. do you run a line in salted Braemar black fly .
If you don't I reckon you'd make a fortune if the numbers that ried to eat me & my pals when we were running  around the hills between Braemar & Loc Morlich are anything to go by . Same applies to the area near to Bannock Burn you'd be a instant multi millionaire over night  .

Seriously , would you consider opening a thread up telling us about /how to grow the critters.  I'd lover to grow enough meal worm to be able to feed the fish and the birds we get here.
 Getting the birds feeding on them in the garden areas is one of my aims so I can try and get some decent fairly close up photos of them eating them or feeding their fledgling  chicks 
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 11:54:32 pm »
Yep I could do, i settled on crickets, mealworms and Dubia beetles after trying quite a lot of species because they are easy to breed and don't fly!  :excited:

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 04:39:13 am »
nv
Yep I could do, i settled on crickets, mealworms and Dubia beetles after trying quite a lot of species because they are easy to breed and don't fly!  :excited:

What kind of set up have you got?

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 11:09:34 am »
I keep them in fishtanks, mealworm and Dubia beetle can be left as to do theit thing, the crickets have laying tubs in their tank where they deposit their eggs and I move them into a new tank to hatch or the small ones get eaten.

No heating but I keep them indoors so they breed at a reasonable rate.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 05:35:59 pm »
I seem to have zillions of tiny ants in my greenhouse but so far nothing has suffered as far as i can see.  Should I just leave them or are they eating something that i can't see?

I've also got loads in an old stainless steel sink where my strawberry plants are - they haven't been very productive, not just this year though, so when I empty it out to put in alpines instead do i need any protection from the ants?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 11:47:29 pm »
Jo, if your green house has gone awry like mine has this year , they are most likely feeding on the honeydew off various sap suckers living on plants in the greenhouse.
 My aubergines have become smothered in a dark fine mould due to the prolonged cold summer & its dampness ..the insects were feeding on this  .
 I stripped off a lot of the darkened stick leaves this morning ..

Tomorrow morning now I have more time I'll be giving a lot of plants a ventilating haircut.

Getting the glasshouse dry and getting rid of the insects will see the ants go elsewhere .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS