Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Charmoise Rams Going Tomorrow  (Read 9302 times)

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
Re: Charmoise Rams Going Tomorrow
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 08:10:53 pm »

Photo taken in July just after shearing, a charmoise lamb and its welsh mule ewe lamb mother, lamb was sold in august weighing around 40 kilos

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 09:25:31 pm »
Very nice that. I would have thought the auctioneers would have known about breeds of sheep though. ::)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 08:05:17 am »
They don't!

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 10:30:13 am »
They certainly dont! I've had texel x hebridean lambs sold as Mule wethers, Welshmountain (for the black ones) Charolais x and One pen of light but bulky frames lambs went as "pure texel".

I asked and was told, they are sold as whatever they think will get the best price!

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 10:31:14 am »
They honestly go by what the lamb looks like

If its got a white face, white legs, with a leg at each corner and good conformation then its a texel lamb
If its the same but stubbier and shorter with better conformation then its a beltex lamb

GrannyAching

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Pembrokeshire
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 10:47:25 am »
.............. they finish easily and are more adapted for harsh treatment/slower growth in a rough place vs. Charollais adapted for fast growth in an easy place

How harsh? Not being funny at all e.g. I'm 600' up, North facing - The Irish Sea/Atlantic - on unimproved grassland, lambing outside at whatever time Easter is (work obligations).

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 02:06:46 pm »
What ewes are you running and ram are you using now Granny? This bloke lives further in land (up near the wind mills other side of Newcastle Emlyn) he is over 1000 feet and uses them on Welsh lambing outside in April.
He uploaded the photo to the Charmoise Sheep Breeders facebook site with the words "easy lambing" which was nice. He also came back and bought a second ram. Which was nicer.

They are tough, IME beat the pants of a Charollais, Suffolk etc but don't have a thick coat at birth, they are very fast on their feet and suckling but cannot make the sun shine. They are a hill breed, but with muscles. If you need a full on hill breed to withstand your conditions use a Welsh and accept they wont sell well, your place sounds much the same as here though, my sheep are looking at Ireland when its not raining ;)   

We sold 20 Lleyn (small ewes) cross Charmoise today in Cardigan and had 1.50 per kg, which given the trade (143ppk av.) and that we aren't FA I thought was pretty good.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:11:18 pm by Me »

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 02:34:27 pm »
Granny, these are out of little Lleyn that run around the Boglands of Ceredigion for a living, I have brought them back off those poor pastures to silage aftermath to finish and they are picking up nicely. These sold this morning in Cardigan

This is also a rare photo of Taff behaving himself
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 01:41:20 pm by Me »

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 03:07:52 pm »
Nice strong lambs!  :thumbsup:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 05:20:58 pm »
Yep they do look nice. Am sending my first batch of top quality Lleyn ram lambs off on monday, I just hope I get a good price for them as I have worked so hard to get a really good ram and what with building up the flock to almost excellent as well.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

GrannyAching

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Pembrokeshire
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 01:14:18 pm »
Granny, these are out of little Lleyn that run around the Boglands of Ceredigion for a living, I have brought them back off those poor pastures to silage aftermath to finish and they are picking up nicely. These sold this morning in Cardigan

Sorry to be so long - I have been horribly busy. I run a Lleyn ram on a really mixed flock. I am going to be selling stores most years so need to work to something with a good look to finish off. In a good year I can finish. The best looking lambs I have this year are 25% Suffolk 75% lleyn but obviously getting that in a really small flock is a pia.

So far the sheep have been a hobby/therapy if they are going to stay after next summer they have to pay their way a lot more especially as I intend to pull my rented land back and start using it if I keep sheep at all.

I need a serious think.  I'm trying to steel myself for cardigan store prices at the mo. Trouble is the temptation is to say FI I'll buy acres and try an fatten them. Arrrgghhhh!!  What do you charge for a farm visit - to come and advise me I mean!!??

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 01:21:41 pm »
What do you charge for a farm visit - to come and advise me I mean!!?? I'd be happy to help if I can (I did offer the FEC training...) always good to poke around other peoples farms and tell them how to spend their money  :innocent:

GrannyAching

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Pembrokeshire
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 01:53:22 pm »
What do you charge for a farm visit - to come and advise me I mean!!?? I'd be happy to help if I can (I did offer the FEC training...) always good to poke around other peoples farms and tell them how to spend their money  :innocent:

Was that you on the FF, then? How far are you from Crymych?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 02:05:21 pm »
Yes that was me! I am up near Aberaeron, will PM you

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS