Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Walnut trees  (Read 3259 times)

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
Walnut trees
« on: August 25, 2015, 09:52:14 am »
Can old walnut trees that are now smaller than when they were planted but still alive, can they still grow?

We planted 50 walnut trees 15 years ago, some have done very well, we average about a ton of walnuts most years. The few that haven't done so well are actually shorter than when we planted. But they are still alive. Maybe we didn't dig a big enough planting hole or something silly like that.

They are planted well enough apart in good draining good ph soil, some have done exceptionally well, very large and new growth every year.

Ps. We have high voltage power lines going over our small holding, and not sure if coincidence or not but under them they trees don't seem to be doing so well. We have some doing ok under them and some a long way away not doing so good.

Do high voltage power lines affect growth? I know you don't want to live under them if you don't want to get cancer, is it the same for plants?

I once had someone with a tester climb up a large step ladder with a tester like a radiation tester but for harmful electronic waves, it was in yellow zone safe until the very top which was almost red, then on the very top stetchg up higher than the trees it got to red, almost touching the wires. But I don't know what that mean?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:28:29 am by Orinlooper »

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Walnut trees
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 11:50:04 am »
There is actually no evidence that power lines cause cancer, that's not to say there is not a possibility. Hower, measuments are often higher in the house adjacent to the distribution board than they are from nearby power lines.

In your case the trees may not be growing so well becausethe soil was dug, moved and compacted when the lines were effected. Just a thought.

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 12:07:17 pm »
There is actually no evidence that power lines cause cancer, that's not to say there is not a possibility. Hower, measuments are often higher in the house adjacent to the distribution board than they are from nearby power lines.

In your case the trees may not be growing so well becausethe soil was dug, moved and compacted when the lines were effected. Just a thought.

I think no relation, some close to he lines are doing very well, some far away not doing so well.

But we are trying to diced wether to move those under the lines not doing well, they are still alive but are shorter than when they were planted 15 years ago.

Shall we leVe them there, or move them and try again?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 01:50:42 pm »
When in doubt i hedge my bets with stuff like this... how about movng half the duds so you have a comparison..and when you replant add some of the soil from under the good trees..in the hope there's helpful organisms in it.
Perhaps you could also take half the remaining duds and loosen the soil around them (a bit) and dig in some fish blood and bone meal ..?

I've only got three walnuts here. One original looked very sick for 2 years and had been planted about 10 years before..suddenly took off this year. The two i put in 4 years ago.. well one is looking good and one just about catching up to where it was when planted. I suspect they finally got their roots down far enough to good stuff. I have lost both mulberries i put in and one almond, though...

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 12:59:11 am »
One advantage to have high voltage power line going over your land is that there are less pests around them.

They are all repelled away from the lines, so I want to plant stuff under them that usually have problems with pests.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 08:22:53 pm »
Fewer pests under HV power lines??? Are you sure? Is there any science to back that up?
We have them over our land and we see abs no difference at all in our fields, either in grass growth, animal health or blooming slug populations. And the power lines certainly don't affect the horse flies in that field
Is it time to retire yet?

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 11:24:15 pm »
Can old walnut trees that are now smaller than when they were planted but still alive, can they still grow?

We planted 50 walnut trees 15 years ago, some have done very well, we average about a ton of walnuts most years. The few that haven't done so well are actually shorter than when we planted. But they are still alive. Maybe we didn't dig a big enough planting hole or something silly like that.

They are planted well enough apart in good draining good ph soil, some have done exceptionally well, very large and new growth every year.

Ps. We have high voltage power lines going over our small holding, and not sure if coincidence or not but under them they trees don't seem to be doing so well. We have some doing ok under them and some a long way away not doing so good.

Do high voltage power lines affect growth? I know you don't want to live under them if you don't want to get cancer, is it the same for plants?

I once had someone with a tester climb up a large step ladder with a tester like a radiation tester but for harmful electronic waves, it was in yellow zone safe until the very top which was almost red, then on the very top stetchg up higher than the trees it got to red, almost touching the wires. But I don't know what that mean?

Have you tried manuring /feeding the trees for a 3 mtr diameter circle round each tree with a 40 mm blanket of some quality well rotted manure and  forked it in a bit .

I've  rescued a lot supposedly ruined  cooking & dessert apple ,cherry, pear and plum trees like that ,.
They might also perk up with a little bit of judicious pruning at the correct time of the year as well as being given an insecticidal tar wash a the right time  etc.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS