Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I've been kindly given the use of a chicken pen - two questions please  (Read 3517 times)

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
I have been VERY kindly given the use of a large, secure, covered pen which hasnt had chickens in it for more than 5 years.
Inside, the floor is covered with about 4 inches of crusty poo and a small amount of fresh rat droppings.
I will deal with the rat before putting the chickens in - no problem.

So here's the plan and the questions....
I was planning to skim the chicken poo off and break it up a bit and put it directly on my allotment to break down over the winter.
Is there any reason I shouldnt do that & do I need to worry about the rat poo mixed in it? Although the recent ratty stuff is a small amount, I can see still recognise a fair amount of very old rat poo in there.
second question,.. Is there any chance that red mite could survive that time without chickens?  I can see signs of red mite on some of the woodwork = nothing thats alive though.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: I've been kindly given the use of a chicken pen - two questions please
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 11:09:50 am »
I would fumigate it just to make sure and make sure to scrub with disinfectant and water just in case before fumigating. I'm not sure whether they can lie dormant for a few years but you never know. If it has rat poo in it I wouldn't put it on the allotment, maybe a bin somewhere to let it compost even more, just to be on the safe side I maybe wrong though. By the way what breed of chickens are you thinking of getting?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 11:41:50 am »
Thanks WBF.  I will be putting my own coop inside the pen. The red mite signs I could see were on a shed thats attached to the pen - looks like the previous occupants had a coop attached to the shed ( old coop removed now).
The old rat droppings are going to be difficult to separate from the chicken poo & there's too much of it to compost again - the pen measures approx 6m x 5m.

I already have the chickens - they are moving from my garden.  I have Light sussex, buff orps and a couple of welsummers.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 12:16:11 pm »
I love those hens, very nice they're. All the best :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 01:16:43 pm »
Is it dry?  Rake it up and burn it maybe?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 02:38:44 pm »
Is it dry?  Rake it up and burn it maybe?
Yes it is dry but it is a awful lot of material - not sure it would burn though.

I am thinking it will be 99% vintage chicken poo so it should be good for fertilising the soil - just a little worry about the rat poo being in it.
I could just bag it up and bin it but feels like a bit of a waste.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 03:14:23 pm »
Have you a flower garden? You could put it around bushes, ornamental of course, to fertilize the soil. :thinking:

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 04:48:51 pm »
Q, are you sure you want to be messing at all with rat pooh? However old it is? Are you that desperate for fertiliser? They carry so much disease. I for one would burn it asap.
Is it time to retire yet?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 05:06:52 pm »
I too would burn the lot.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 05:07:53 pm »
Would the fresh rat droppings sweep off the top and discard?
then compost the rest for a year?

FYM probably has rat droppings here and there, and I've heard of rats on allotments, so where do they poo?

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 06:04:01 pm »
Thanks for all your answers, I really appreciate it.
I have spent a good few hours reading around the web and I think the amount of rat droppings as a proportion of the material I have to remove is pretty small & doesnt equate to much more than would be found if a rat inhabited a compost heap for example. Whether you know the rat is there or not it would still get spread on the veggie garden.

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 06:10:22 pm »
as said above burn and then compost as ash

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 09:42:53 pm »
re the rat poop I don't care where you put it tbh but its is very allergenic and if you have an outside job/lifestyle whereby you might come into regular contact you do not want a rodent allergy-its one that only gets worse and can make you very poorly even from accidental exposure in the future.Its a short step from rat/mouse allergy to rabbits etc so should be taken seriously.
There may not be much there, but you will be stirring it up and breathing it in from a short distance and if you could see it, you'd be amazed at how much ends up flying about! (and I am really not someone who minds getting their hands dirty but do know a little about this stuff)

So, wear a decent mask and gloves when dealing with it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS