Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fleas and my father  (Read 7313 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Fleas and my father
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 10:38:57 am »
Acclaim is good for treating the house; you do it about once every nine months and it breaks the breeding cycle.  The noxious kill-all sprays just kill what's alive at that moment, they don't kill the eggs... ;)

I think all the treatments are more effective if you have a good vaccum round before and after spraying, change animals bedding regularly, etc.

Sorry to hear you've been struggling with your relationship with your dad.  Hopefully once you can reassure him you've treated the house he'll be prepared to come again.   This one's for you  :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 10:41:49 am »
Oh, and just to share a hungry fleas story...

When I had a pair of kittens many years ago, they were housed in the spare room when we were out, and came out to play with us when we were in.

Once they had learned how to behave, they were free to roam around the house all the time, and the spare room was shut up again.

A few weeks later, I needed something from the spare room.  I was in there only seconds before my legs were literally covered in ravenously feeding fleas.  Urgh!   
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 11:01:04 am »
wouldn't wooden floors be more practical for pets indoors, or even mock wooden flooring, or lino? I keep my dogs outside, in an outbuilding after I've exercised them, the only times they ever come into the house they stay in the linoed hallway and then I spray it with disinfectant and scrub everywhere, once they have gone out. I have to put flea stuff on the cat (which is also outside as he is a farm cat, every month or so) as he goes rabbiting and the fleas on wild rabbits are disgusting.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 11:24:55 am »
Sorry to hear about problems with your dad hope things get better again soon.  :hug:
I'm the flea indicator in our house  :(
We've had problems with our dogs, never had a problem before we took these on, it's me that gets bitten, never him, so nothing was getting done apart from treating the dogs, we had wood floor with carpet on top, he said the dogs needed the carpet. I was convinced the eggs were down between the floorboards as well (floor swelled the shrunk when we were flooded, so there are slight gaps).
Eventually I blew my top, carpet went out, vinyl flooring in, small area of new carpet for the dogs. problem over.
.... Until recently, dogs treated again, bit of carpet is vacced regularly, I think i may now be being bitten when I put my wellies on? is it possible for them to live in wellies? they got sprayed with 'indorex' flea killer and covered with plastic. I'm wearing a cheap version of 'crocs' and haven't been bitten since, but haven't put my boots on, prefer wet feet :-)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 01:19:58 pm »
Thank you all for your help and advice, it's taken 6 months to get him to come visit me four miles down the road, I shall buy a can of flea spray for the house this morning, I really thought I had started to make headway with him, I shall try and look at this as a small set back.
I wish a hug could make things better  :hug: .
There's an awful lot of mums and dads on here that ain't like me - disown him!  :innocent:  write him out of your will  :thumbsup:  No access to the kids  :thumbsup:  Don't visit him  :thumbsup:

He'll learn that family are worth more than a few bites!  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 04:59:32 pm »
My dad wouldn't speak to me after we told them I was getting married again, he's walk out of the room when we walked in. I didn't care.
He did eventually come round, I think he realised I'd got it right second time round, when he died suddenly in 2007 - well, I still miss him so much, it still hurts there are things I wish I'd said.

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 06:05:46 pm »
Thanks, he is still being bitten 10 days after he visited, can my fleas have gone home with him and continue to munch him this much later?
There's an awful lot of mums and dads on here that ain't like me - disown him!  :innocent:  write him out of your will  :thumbsup:  No access to the kids  :thumbsup:  Don't visit him  :thumbsup:

He'll learn that family are worth more than a few bites!  :innocent:

Unfortunately he has taken both my kids with him onto my ex's side. I am in the process of moving 250 miles away in the near future (about 2months) to try and rebuild my life with my new partner  :excited:  a 50 acre farm in Cumbria near Appleby in West Morland. Very excited  :farmer:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:10:13 pm by LouiseG »
So many ideas, not enough hours

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 06:41:08 pm »
best of luck Louise. Appleby is really great....apart from the horse fair  >:(

Im sorry about your Dad, your ex and your children. Your Dad had no business influencing your children; no-one knows what really goes on in a marriage except the 2 spouses. Keep smiling and hopefully your children will come round in the end. As for your Dad? Well, if he doesn't then its his loss
Is it time to retire yet?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 06:52:50 pm »
haven't read all of the replies but there is a lot of resistance to various compounds in fleas-in some parts of the country Frontline is expensively useless. Its worth changing every so often and if you have an infestation, keep up treatments for a good 18 months. and jeez, they're just fleas. And please, don't use permethrin based products anywhere near cats.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 06:56:43 pm »
Send him a can of acclaim with your goodbye card and go!   Best wishes for the future.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 09:08:16 pm »
Thank you Back in wellies I was thinking of a can of R.I.P. Instead of acclaim with a card.  :innocent:
As you can tell I've been out for a dog walk this evening and tried to get everything back in perspective and now I feel a lot more positive having read all the comments. Thank you x
So many ideas, not enough hours

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 12:43:24 am »
That sounds a lot like an excuse to me. Surely no one gets that upset about a few bites.

Hope your new life is a wonderful as you deserve.  :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS