Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One chicken going missing  (Read 5561 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: One chicken going missing
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 11:01:02 am »
What breed?  My neighbour had some of my Dorkings but one was a wanderer and found all sorts of odd places to lay in. The fox got her on Monday, though - in mid afternoon.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 12:28:08 pm »
Kimbo, you were wrong.
I found her this morning and she was sitting on 8 eggs. She put up a real fight when I tried to get her off. OH had to put on his gauntlet gloves and now she has gone off in a huff.

The eggs seem to be fresh, according to the water test, so I am going to crack them separately and if they smell ok, freeze them.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 04:39:34 pm »
Hey I was close though!
Just like my CLB. She tried to eat me and son when we removed her eggs and she too had a huff for a day! Arent they funny!
Is it time to retire yet?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 04:51:50 pm »
MF, she is a barred wyandotte and a little madam too
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 05:12:34 pm »
We have Wyandottes too - not a breed that often goes broody in my experience, but right little madams ....yes.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 06:06:17 pm »
I have 2 Laced Wyandottes that I intend to sell when I finally work out what gender the Blue Laced one is! They are both thugs. I hatched them and I handle my chicks and young chooks every day but these 2 are really nasty, pecky monsters. They are gorgeous but not at all nice-natured. The others in the hatch, including a cockerel, were lovely  sweet birds
Is it time to retire yet?

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2015, 01:49:07 pm »
I have a Silver Pencilled Wyandotte who goes broody roughly every 3 weeks and is also an absolute madam!  It takes me about 4 days to break her and during that time she behaves like the hen from hell - screeching at the top of her voice and even jumping up to beak me in the legs!  I just can't get rid of her though as I love her to bits! ???

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 05:47:20 pm »
I had a Wyandotte hen which was a fantastic mother, always reared her chicks well and once stood up to a fox, he never even tried to eat her but ran away.  :roflanim: When my Buff Sussex went broody I used to lift her and she only ever pecked me once, until I told her off in a stern voice, and she never did it again. I'm glad you found your hen though. My two buff Sussex went missing in a storm, I found one and gave up trying to find the other. I looked casually out of the window, two days after she went missing, and I saw her running across the field of cows, so I searchedn the hedgerow, where I saw her disappear into, and eventually managed to flush her out of a bush, with my sheepdogs. She was missing her comb when I found her and it never grew back.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS