Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken died  (Read 2314 times)

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Chicken died
« on: August 24, 2015, 03:33:17 pm »
One of our chickens just died unexpectedly. They are all pushing 3 years now and the lay rate has gone down. The chicken in question had an unusual life though.....

We raised 5 chicks from eggs and 4 were female, along with a lovely cockerel.

The cockerel grew and grew and then became ultra aggressive to us and so got turned into a curry one day.

However one of the females then grew a comb, wattles and started crowing and stopped laying.

Well that was her / him that just died. I wonder if another will take his place :)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Chicken died
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 03:44:54 pm »
That can happen in hens. Can't remember the name but especially I think if there is no cockerel present. 3 is not bad for a chicken really, especially a hybrid.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 08:40:39 pm »
Really sad when that happens but I'm afraid that it does from time to time. :bouquet:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 12:18:16 am »
Just been watching a programme about transexuals. If it can happen in humans it can in other species. Have heard of it in ducks. Whether it shortens life I have no idea.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

muddypuddle

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 09:44:22 am »
That's unfortunate about loosing her/him. One of my lecturers at uni used to breed rare breeds and various bantams and she said that it was quite acknowledged within the breeds to "change sex" or for hens to take on secondary characteristics of a cockerel (still anatomically female).

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 11:06:30 am »
One of my faverolles has been crowing like a cockerel, they all did, but she seems to do it more often and I can't pinpoint which one it is.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 06:17:39 pm »
one of are hens is trying to crow today and she is with the a cock and 6 hens
the oldest hen we have is 12 its the lads first chick he hatched

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS