Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New litters!  (Read 7320 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: New litters!
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 10:24:55 am »
thanks, love rabbit meat.
worth looking at air pistols then. any particular type as iv no clue?

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 10:53:44 am »
You're probably better picking up a cheap air rifle, I just use the pistol as its handier and I have a couple for target shooting anyway.

Most air rifles have more power (up to 12 ft lbs) than a pistol whereas pistols have a maximum of 6 ft lbs.

I find a .22 better than a .177

But unless you're getting something really old and weak virtually anything will do.

I have a Weihrauch 45 pistol in .22 and .177 but I also use an old Webley Tempest in .22 no problems.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 11:56:12 am »
thanks that's very helpful.  :thumbsup:

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 08:37:05 pm »
I miss my bunnys I had 5 does and 2 bucks newzand and Californan , an old bloke who had a shed full (500 does ) told me no matter how meany kits she has the litter will weigh the same at 4 weeks so your best off taking some away and leving her with 6 , I hope this makes sense

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 09:22:18 pm »
That's not one I've heard of, I'll need to have a wee weigh at mine next time.

Can't say I've noticed much difference in weight between different litter sizes, they all seem much the same at 10 weeks but maybe they catch up?

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2015, 11:47:36 pm »
I miss my bunnys I had 5 does and 2 bucks newzand and Californan , an old bloke who had a shed full (500 does ) told me no matter how meany kits she has the litter will weigh the same at 4 weeks so your best off taking some away and leving her with 6 , I hope this makes sense

That's reasonable at that age , taking some kits off her will not make much difference so long as you rest her for a fortnight before re breeding , so she comes back into tip top condition .
In the wild , rabbits mate"  post partum " often within six hours of having the litter.  The doe is extremely fertile  for three or four days after giving birth .

It is the next few weeks further on from 28 days old when they are self feeding on hay and non milk food that they wack on the weight . If you can't find a market for them by 11 weeks old they will soon be costing you money for feed .... big time unless you are mainly using your own materials .

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 09:27:58 pm »
I think he ment food to meat , and he had/ has a proper set up big shed ( to much like a factory for my liking) but he's done it a lot ov years most of his meat now goes to polish super markets

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 09:43:14 pm »
When you say rest them for a fortnight is that after birth?

the person I learned of said to mate them again 14 days after birth as this is the best time for big litters and best fertility etc

it certainly seems to work, I usually get double figures doing it that way whereas if I leave them any longer I get 4-8 and often lose a couple around the birth time

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 11:03:51 pm »
I used to breed commercially both for meat and the pet market .

The rest is to give the lactating doe time to adjust to the new role of mother .
 If you constantly post partum mate her it will drag her vitality down by about the fifth litter . Though it can be worth while planning to do post partum mating if the doe is only into her third or fourth litter for certain events in the human yearwhen you can sell more pets /meat . like Easter , third / fourth week of the summer holidays , post crimbo week  & the onset of the colder rabbit stew weather .

Most commercial breeders will cull the doe after 8 litters as that's when the fecundity drops off .

Mating just after her dropping the litter is a thing that happens all the time in nature , just like humans and for most mammals it is a time of very high fertility .

Having a doe in kit whilst she is with 14 day old plus kits  is often practiced by commercial growers but you do have to be very observant of the stock for signs of stress.

If you're able to afford to be a bit laid back, giving the doe a complete 14 day rest after the kits are taken from her at 28 to 31 days is fairly productive for the big litter mothers to recover entirely .

I offer you a word of caution  ..it applies to almost all of the creatures on earth .
 Don't elect your breeding stock from the most prolific  producing females . For some reason mother nature  does not like it and the result a few generations down the line is a much weaker stock both in meat , FCR's and general health .

Perhaps it's natures way to prevent the species from over producing and starving when there is not enough feed available .

The best stock to select are from the mothers who have just one or two more than your average sized family ( keeping detailed records & a mating line log book  helps tremendously )   .
My commercial breeding does were selected from third litters where the doe produced the second & third litters of 9 or 10 kits.

I used to buy in an unrelated couple of new 16 to 18 week old bucks every year and cull the old boys when they'd just attained three years old . The new bucks were not used till 19 weeks old because they were quarantined for a week in a separate quarantine building that was well away from the rabbit sheds. 

The new virgin home produced does were usually mated to an older buck for the first mating at 20 to 22 week old , kept in separate cages for the last four weeks before mating to stop female to female orientation .
Much older and it often happened that the does were difficult to mate up & ended up being culled as meat for humans  , raptor breeding programmes  , reptiles or factory made pet food .
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:11:04 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS