Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Problems with pullets going off their legs suddenly  (Read 6362 times)

Victorian Farmer

Re: Problems with pullets going off their legs suddenly
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 08:15:34 pm »
I breed Marrans and some think like this happened to me. I made a sale for 3 cocks 4 hens the stock  was perfect in every way delivered in Yorkshire. 4 days later 2 dead the phone went. The stock is ill iv phoned the vet given tarlin. I DISAGREED treat for coxid 3more died. The rest lived. The stress and the wether to blame. The person went mad I paid up. My stock have never had eney think wrong. A nother pict 8chicks out of 50 8 were cocks again my folt.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:18:08 pm by Victorian Farmer »

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 10:05:14 pm »
Hi Twizzel - just wanted to commiserate as I know how grim this is. I bought in a few hens and made the error of running them near to (not with) the existing flock (who were vaccinated against Mareks). I lost two of four to what I suspect was Mareks. Symptoms were sudden wobbliness and putting wings out to steady themselves. Then went down and couldn't get up. Absolutely horrible. I considered a PM but vet advised that it isn't always conclusive / needed to be sent to offsite lab. So I assumed that was what it was and now I will only buy vaccinated stock as I understand that Mareks can live on all around for months in feather debris etc. However, two survived which made no sense to me but was pleasantly surprised about. I disinfected everything and kept all kit (and hens) completely separate. So sorry, it's horrid to keep seeing them go downhill.
Martha R

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 11:12:10 pm »
Thankyou Martha. Unfortunately all 3 remaining pullets now showing early symptoms. I highly doubt it is cocci given that there is no blood in stools, they are still eating as and when they can potter about until the late stages. Nothing environmental has changed they have been here with me for 4 weeks and by the time they became ill they were totally settled, eating well and roosting at night, the other hens had accepted them.

Will have to chalk it down to bad luck I guess and just be careful where I buy my stock from in future, luckily I do not sell my hens on they are with me for life and don't hatch chicks anymore so that is something I guess. I have a few ex commercial hens that I think are vaccinated against it but in the same respect they are running with 6-10 unvaccinated birds which I hatched out here so would have been pullets too last year. to all who have taken the time to comment today it's much appreciated.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 12:43:08 am »
I hate to say this but in my experience, going on what you have said, your birds have given something to them. I may be wrong and don't want to start an argument but that would be my personal assumption if I were you. I would treat for Cocci as a last resort and I would do it at day break tomorrow.

Older hens can carry many things and hide them well. They are the survivors after all. Cocci doesn't always have all the classic symptoms. It's the only problem I have ever had and it has manifested itself in many different ways. I've got a handle on it now but it's never as the textbook says.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 10:03:16 am »
I very much doubt it's Marek's as they would deteriorate much slower than yours.

It could be coccidiosis as there are many strains of it and they can easily have it without showing blood in their stools.
In addition, a low cocci count still damages the gut and that way other bacteria can get a hold.

Post mortems can indeed be inconclusive, but I had one done on two different occasions by the RVC and they were free.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 01:34:26 pm »
There are now two strains of Mareks. The original is slow to develop and shows the classic symptoms- legs spread and blurred pupils, but the new strain can kill in days. It is believed the new 'fast' Mareks strain is a result of mutation from the 'slow'  immunisation programme. There is no immunisation for the fast strain available at present I am told.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 07:12:37 pm »
Mine (assumed Mareks) went downhill fast - one day eating, drinking and moving about normally, then sudden onset of unsteady gait and wings flopping and then rapidly off their legs - they needed to be culled within 2-3 days as I recall. My conclusion was also that one or more of the 'old' hens had been a carrier and passed it to the unvaccinated ones. Horrible. Thinking of you twizzel.
Martha R

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS