Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding Hedghogs?  (Read 2964 times)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Feeding Hedghogs?
« on: August 23, 2015, 07:16:26 pm »
Is anyone else feeding hedgies? Need some ideas of how to make their dish accessable to them but not cats and foxes?!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Feeding Hedghogs?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 11:50:09 pm »
I saw a photo posted on Facebook of a dish of hedgehog food being consumed by loads of slugs.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 08:47:04 am »
Back n the 70's i had a client who hand reared a bunch of hedgie babies. She wanted to find a way of marking them so she'd know her hedgies the next year and went to Soho to investigate non-toxic body paints....
...and came back with a whole new perspective...

(mind you she wasn't as daft as the young lady who used to dye her white cat to match her evening outfits. She used food colouring to mix the correct shades)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 01:45:40 pm »
Thanks everyone.
Slugs eating the food isn't a problem - slugs are the preferred food.
Think we are going with a slab and house bricks sort of affair

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 06:48:00 pm »
Or a wooden type box with just a opening the hog could get into maybe although fox may be able to lift it my friend runs a rescue in fife ( forth hedghog rescue) on facebook she may have ideas she's been saying she's had loads of rescues this year including I think it was 12 in one week

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 09:16:43 am »
I soak hard dog feed in water, which foxes don't appear to find as interesting.  If you see them at a certain time every night put it out for that time - they tend to go on the same round every evening.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 12:24:37 pm »
Back in the 1950's, my mother, bless her heart, loved hedgehogs and (having seen them in the garden at dusk) would regularly put out a dish of chopped raw chuck steak at night for them! Her theory was that she would encourage them into her garden and they in turn would eat all the slugs and other harmful insects that ate her vegetables and flowers - it didn't cross her mind that the hedgehogs would appreciate her efforts and just waddle off stuffed with steak, or that the local moggies would have a midnight feast at her expense! :-))

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 01:37:19 pm »
This week I saw the first hedgehog since we moved here 3.5 years ago. It had fallen into the bottom of one of the holes OH was digging to put new gate posts in. Hedgehog retrieved, I put out some water and cat food for it. Went back 2 mins later and the hedgehog had disappeared very quickly (must have been Sonic the hedgehog) but the food and water remained.
Later my dog went out and ate all signs of food :-)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS