Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worm Advice  (Read 5323 times)

AG007

• Joined May 2015
Worm Advice
« on: August 23, 2015, 05:17:48 pm »
Hi, we have a couple of Middlewhites that we got as weaners a few months ago, to grow on for eating. When we got them they had been injected with wormer, but we haven't treated them since. Today when feeding them i noticed a worm protruding from the rear of one of them, looked like a smooth earthworm, any ideas what type of worm this is? Is this anything to worry about? We had been planning to send them for slaughter in a couple of weeks, but i believe that if we treat them for worms now (by injection) it'll be 28 days before we can send them off.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks
Alex

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
Re: Worm Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 09:15:50 am »
I believe you are looking at a large white worm. In my experience if one is hanging out you will either get a couple more out or a whole army!

We have never struggled with worms in our own stock but bought in some Weaners a year or so ago who must have been 99% worm! They just kept coming.

Its always tricky that close to slaughter but I would definitely worm if withdrawal allows for it because you wont be able to tell how big the problem is and how much it is affecting your pig.

:wave:

IretonsFarm

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 10:00:53 am »
If it was me I would worm but if you are unsure speak to your vet.

You will also need to rest the land for at least 6 months before putting anymore pigs on it or up your worming regime.

AG007

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 12:38:48 pm »
Thanks for your reply, I’ve seen the Flubenol powder, which has a withdrawal period of only 7 days and should do the job, but I’ve only found it in 600g packs, costing around £50. Does anybody know if there is anywhere I could buy smaller packs of this as I only need it for a couple of pigs?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 01:19:19 pm »
I had exactly this problem. I only needed enough for 2 weaners. Someone on the forum kindly sent me some.
Hopefully there is someone else here who will do the same for you. 

Alternatively you could always ask your vet if they stock it and would sell you a small amount.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

AG007

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 05:15:41 pm »
I'd happily buy a little bit off somebody if anybody has got any going spare  :fc:

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 07:16:27 pm »
AG007 - It was me who sent some to Bionic and happy to do the same and help you out (someone did the same for me before I got to the stage where it made sense to buy a tub). You'll need to weigh/estimate their weight as it's done by bodyweight. You'll need very little - 1g per 10kg bodyweight. PM me if you want to do that with your weights (pigs obviously  ;D) and your address!
Martha R

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 11:47:18 am »
I have some also if you need some posted. xx
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 09:22:36 am »
Remember you'll need to keep a note of it in your medicine book. You'll need the suppliers details, batch number, expiry date, quantity and route of administration along with details of all pigs treated. You have to keep these records for inspection by AVHLA should they want them and it's either 5 or 6 years they've to be kept for.
Just to keep yourself right  :thumbsup:

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 06:39:14 pm »
Karen is right - I can send the batch number and expiry dates by pm and where the meds were sourced from. No problem. Should've included that in the note I sent you!
Martha R

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 12:01:30 am »
if the pigs are that close to slaughter i'd run it by your vet as to whether you actually worm them or not.  There may be some spotting on the liver already, but worming them now wont resolve that. If they're fattening well the level of infection may not be significant. They may well be passing eggs to contaminate your ground so it de;ends how important this is to you.

AG007

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 04:56:20 pm »
Hi, Just want to thank everybody for their help and advice, especially Martha for kindly sending me some wormer, and Steph for offering to do the same!

Farmvet - thanks for advice - I did treat the pigs, irrespective of whether it was to late to prevent liver spotting - I want them to be as happy and comfortable as possible for their last couple of weeks... and we will hopefully be using the ground again next year with a new batch of pigs!

Alex

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 10:02:50 pm »
You're welcome. Nice to be able to help out as others did for me some time back. I PM-d you the details of the meds for your records as well Alex.
Martha

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS