Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: So have I got this roughly right?  (Read 6605 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: So have I got this roughly right?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 08:35:10 pm »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 10:30:43 pm »

So how do others do it? How did you manage? I can't believe this is the province of the rich, or those that inherit?

For us it's by one of us working full time to pay the mortgage etc.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 11:53:22 pm »

So how do others do it? How did you manage? I can't believe this is the province of the rich, or those that inherit?

For us it's by one of us working full time to pay the mortgage etc.
For us its a full time worker and a part time worker (plus studying allegedly full time, plus family, plus animal care and land management).  A petting farm will need a lot of 'elf and safety stuff as well.  I wish you good luck.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 12:04:07 am »
As above 24/7 work by both or one or whoever is fit at the time, lambing here and at the farm up the road and we basically do what we can when we can saying that we wouldn't change it for the world but then I'm not materialistic  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 08:37:23 am »
And we both work elsewhere too! 

I think you may need to add planning etc permission for a petting zoo here too... Heath and safety regs alone could make this a non starter.

I wish you personally good luck with your venture ....and hope you can in some way achieve your dreams.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 08:49:54 am »
somehow, i think you may struggle, without a farming/agri business,
we were only able to take this route when the children had fled the nest, and our wage went towards the farm instead of the children  :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 09:24:38 am »
And we could only do it on retirement.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 10:22:36 am »
How do other s do it?  Good question.  My family (like most others) spent at least 300 years as labourers on someone else's estate.  No evidence of anyone owning as much as an acre let alone the house they lived it until the 1900s.  Then 100 years of toil in the city and 3 generations of graft and risk and I can afford a dozen acres and a house to boot. I am slightly amused by some of my farmer neighbours whose attitude to land is a little different as they have inherited. To some extent I respect it and to some extent as a newbie I thin why should they feel superior because their ancestors just sat in one place and accumulated land?

Your endeavour will never be easy because there has always been more people wanting land and houses than room or social willingness to accommodate them. Very best of luck though because with that and perseverance you'll succeed  :fc:

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 11:05:12 am »
We did it by waiting until our children were independent, selling the family home ( well, tbh we are currently on a hefty 2nd mortgage to buy this smallholding until our family home sells god knows when  :'( ) and both of us continuing with our f-t employment even though my husband is now 67. Theres currently no plan for him to retire from the day job because, to be frank, we cant afford it.
We also do everything on our 9 acres ourselves, which has resulted in quite a bit of unexpected expense in plant and equipment, and we were not complete novices in land management. But its different when the condition of the land is 100% your responsibility. Its only you who will do all the jobs and remember to schedule all those jobs. And , WOW, are there one hell of a lot of jobs!

Is it time to retire yet?

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 08:23:20 am »
your dream sounds lovely but such a minefield.
I know building regs/planning laws are different between Scotland and England but did you buy the land without first checking if you could build a dwelling on it? Most land that is sold up here is sold with planning already in place by the vendor.
As for the hands on/tourist thing - I have no personal experience but friends of mine had a small rare breeds farm but after one very minor incident they had to shup up shop as the insurance went through the roof, and like most of us they both have to work (she teaches, he drives a bus) to be able to maintain themselves.
One thing is for sure, it's hard work and certainly not the reserve of the rich. Is there anyone else that is doing something similar that you can visit and talk to?
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS