Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Book recomendations for starting out  (Read 2461 times)

Wen3

• Joined Aug 2015
Book recomendations for starting out
« on: August 21, 2015, 04:33:39 pm »
Hi all
We are in the process of buying a place with 10acres who we are buying from have offered lots of help as they are happy we are keeping it as a smallholding. What I was wondering was do any of you have any book recomendations that we can start to read? We are hoping to have pigs and cattle, we already have some chickens but I would like to have some turkeys but know nothing about these any help gratefully received. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Book recomendations for starting out
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 04:59:09 pm »
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 05:47:41 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 05:01:43 pm »
"Caring for Cows" by Valerie Porter is good for small scale keepers, IMHO. If you get the right cattle, they aren't hard to keep. We've got Shetlands that I've been hand milking until the bull went out. If you look in the Diary above, you'll read some of the milking adventure  :) And follow Sally's link  :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 08:09:29 pm »
Books on smallholding seem to split into two categories; firstly the encyclopedia type that aim to cover a little bit of everything in not much depth (ooh, a single page on cheese making - how useful!), and those that cover each aspect in more detail.

I do like the encyclopedia type books for inspiration though, even if they soon run out of detail. Practical Self Sufficiency by Dick & James Strawbridge is quite a good coffee table book, whilst The Encyclopedia of Country Living is a more wordy affair and covers just about every conceivable topic, at least briefly. It's a bit US-Centric, but I have referred to it a lot over the past few years. Edit: I just found a copy of it online in PDF form.

Some of the John Seymour books are worth a look too. They are a little dated, let's be honest. However, if you are prepared to ignore the out of date bits, many of the ideas and principles underneath are timeless.

As far as single topic books go, they're probably best searched for once you've decided you want to do something and have exhausted more general information sources. That said, we managed to raise some turkeys for Christmas without needing any special knowledge. BTW, have a not particularly old gardening book that says "The Internet is becoming a very useful resource. For example, using "WebCrawler", I was able to find nearly six hundred pages on gardening!"  :roflanim:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:24:52 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

nonnatus

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 08:31:42 am »
I agree with Womble - The Dick and James Strawbridge book is a super enjoyable, easy read that really makes you want to get up off the sofa and get started on several projects at once!

Pop over to Amazon and search for SMALLHOLDING or SMALLHOLDER and loads of books appear, most of which can now be bought second hand for pennies.

I read gazillions of books every year and use a Kindle for all of the novels, but if I buy anything relating to my lifestyle or the animals I ALWAYS buy it in it's real, paper format where I can place it lovingly on a shelf and gaze at them proudly and refer to them constantly.  I have quite a library of Self Sufficiency now, encompassing everything from Toilet Management to Bee Keeping (and cheese making of course  :innocent:)

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 09:25:20 am »
Categorised book recommendations here:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/books/

If anyone has any to add to any section please yell.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 12:18:06 pm »
how about a whole new book section on permaculture - I can give you a list as I've got loads of them  ;D
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 01:52:54 pm »
"The Internet is becoming a very useful resource. For example, using "WebCrawler", I was able to find nearly six hundred pages on gardening!"  :roflanim:

A useful resource, certainly. But I would look up that information soon as I really don't see this 'internet' thing catching on!

:innocent:
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 12:50:55 pm »
how about a whole new book section on permaculture - I can give you a list as I've got loads of them  ;D

Yes please, PM or email me.  :)

adrian007

• Joined Dec 2013
    • Axe Head Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 10:12:33 pm »
I agree with the Strawbridge recommendation.

Animal books - I have found alot of conflicting advice - worth reading and drawing a bit from each, but there are no gospels.

Plants/food - I find Mark Diacono and James Wong most interesting. Cleve West too.

'No Nonsense guide' - Field to Farm, David Acreman.

Inspiration - http://www.axeheadfarm.co.uk/adrians-inspiration/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS