Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What breed for the table  (Read 8544 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: What breed for the table
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 07:23:43 pm »
Reputed to fight savagely with other breeds, so not for mixing, perhaps?

I kept them for years alongside other breeds and never had any trouble!

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 07:25:19 pm »
Reputed to fight savagely with other breeds, so not for mixing, perhaps?

I believe it depends on the strain, I have 2 different bloodlines of IG and I wouldn't say that they were savage. As with any breed, certain cocks won't get on but let's not forget their provenance. The reason why they did not make it into the pit but the table instead was due to their passive nature. We have the Cornish to thank for this accident and giving us one of the best table fowl.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 11:08:06 am »
Stereo!! You are a bloke!!! I thought you were a lady  :-[

Don't worry, I get that all the time.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 11:28:58 am »
I have Salmon Faverolles, which am actually selling if you're interested, they do however need to not be mixed with other breeds such as marans, but sussex breeds are fine to keep them with. they where bred as a dual purpose breed for eggs and meat and they're quite big birds, so they will produce a nice sized carcase. Here is a link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faverolles_chicken
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:31:44 am by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 12:12:59 pm »
I've always wondered about the crossing idea eg. IG x LS. Why is this done? Is it to produce a faster maturing bird? Or a better dual purpose bird? Do you get more meat than a pure IG? I'm assuming not as LS are single breasted. We eat all our cockerels but have taken to skinning and filleting off the breast and also legs/thigh as this is 100 times quicker than a full pluck and process and you still get 90% of the meat.

But I want to raise some birds for roasters. I could buy in hubbard chicks etc. but was wondering what pure IG are like for meat? Do you get more off them than a cross?

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 06:51:56 pm »
Stereo, you get a faster maturing bird that is often bigger than a pure IG, these are not massive birds. Eg I have some pure IGs and some IG x La Bresse, the latter being much more developed than the former. I should imagine the latter will turn out bigger in the end.

It's also done to tone down the gameyness of the IG, which some may not like.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 07:30:34 pm »
Sorry what are TNN's? Have now found what they are, thanks

To save others having to google like I did, TNN is Transylvanian Naked Neck.  Apparently.

Edited to say I've now seen nutterly_uts' answer to the same post...

We could do with [member=23925]chrismahon[/member] editing his original post to save us all googling and posting the same thing!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:34:03 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 11:37:41 am »
TNN's are indeed Transylvanian Naked Necks. The National breed of Romania and, despite what Kimbo thinks, are to my mind one of the prettiest chickens you can get. Whilst the bare neck detracts somewhat, their graceful and delicate movements more than make up for it. They remind me of the 4 'Beatles' vultures in Jungle Book. Quite small birds really but incredibly strong, even picking up the hens can be a real struggle. Their lack of feathers makes dressing them for the table quite easy. They are surprisingly hardy but the hens, as previously said, can go broody almost on a weekly basis and stop laying which means eggs are infrequent, so 120 a year is the best you will get. They are one of the components of the French National broiler breed, the Cou-Nu, which is a vicious thing and about twice the size. The lack of feathering all over the body is the result of a naturally occurring feather depleting hormone which collects in certain areas under the skin. They can be very territorial and very noisy, constantly squabbling over the presence of another hen in 'their' nestbox, who they will try to remove even though they don't wish to lay themselves.

Ours are all black, although the natural colour of the cocks is black with dark brown wings and hackles. The French version is light brown, black or white, the latter of which is the only permitted show colour here. In the UK any neck feathering on the TNN is a major defect and can be the result of cross breeding. In France the Cou-Nu must have a ruff of feathers about 2/3rds the way down the neck and any lack of feathering there is a major defect.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 01:26:09 pm »
Stereo, you get a faster maturing bird that is often bigger than a pure IG, these are not massive birds. Eg I have some pure IGs and some IG x La Bresse, the latter being much more developed than the former. I should imagine the latter will turn out bigger in the end.

It's also done to tone down the gameyness of the IG, which some may not like.

Thanks. I've got some nice big Ixworth hens and have stopped breeding them but wonder if I should run them with an IG cockerel next spring. I moved them to a new house last night and they weigh a ton!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2015, 03:06:00 pm »
Thanks for all that info [member=23925]chrismahon[/member] .  What I was really hoping to get you to do was to edit this post and give the full name there, to save everyone who reads the thread having to look it up at that point!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 05:26:19 pm »
Naked neck x Silky gives you the gorgeously named Showgirl chickens  :love:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0f/90/60/0f9060cd499ce5d7cb3f785ba4f49728.jpg

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2015, 10:30:36 am »

Thanks. I've got some nice big Ixworth hens and have stopped breeding them but wonder if I should run them with an IG cockerel next spring. I moved them to a new house last night and they weigh a ton!

Yeah, that sounds like a brilliant mix. Be careful not to over feed your IG cockerel as it makes them lazy. They do not look big but they are like a canon ball. You could also try OEG, if you struggle to get IGs in your area, but they obviously don't mix too well with other cocks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS