Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland ewe prices please  (Read 7209 times)

melodysheep

• Joined Apr 2015
Shetland ewe prices please
« on: August 19, 2015, 09:52:43 am »
Following on from 'Blades' enquiry, what should I expect to pay for 2012/14 Shetland ewes? They are pedigree but not registered.

Many thanks.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Shetland ewe prices please
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:03:34 pm »
I haven't been to any sales this year - in fact I'm not sure if there have been any sales yet this year - but if I was buying privately I'd probably expect to pay £40ish.  Maybe a little more if they have superb fleeces, interesting colours, etc.  Up to £50 for the shearlings if so.

I wish they should be more, I think Shetlands are wonderful sheep, but good registered ones mostly haven't been fetching a lot more than that in recent years.

Some of the rarer primitives fetch more because they are harder to come by. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

melodysheep

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 10:32:22 pm »
Thank you. I've agreed £50 each for 4x 2 y.o ewes and £20 for a wether.  I like the colours - 1 pure white, 1 moorit (always wanted one!) and 3 beige (katmoget?). I've no idea what the fleeces are like as they had been shorn but from what you say, I think I'm happy enough. The last ones I bought were 17 years ago so I didn't have a clue on prices. Love Shetlands anyway!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 06:34:09 am »
Prices sound right. Enjoy your sheep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 12:38:58 pm »
Great, we shall be pleased to see pictures when they arrive, of course ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jward

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Stockton-on-Tees
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 03:20:16 pm »
I paid £30 a head last November for 2013 ewes, pedigree unregistered which was cheap I thought but it was a dispersal.  I think I'd be looking at about £50 each this year.  Shetlands have got such characters. :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:23:10 pm by jward »

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 03:28:30 pm »
If they are birth notified I would want them registered at 50 quid each... means you can register their offspring and helping to preserve the breed :)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 09:03:52 pm »
That list is great, ScarletDragon.

Going through the ring at the mart, where there is a group of sheep, the price is per sheep, unless it is very specifically stated otherwise, which would be unusual.

Cheekierdiagram

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 09:44:40 pm »
Just to clear up the confusion all sheep sold at thainstone ar sold per life

melodysheep

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 10:59:25 am »
Thank you Scarlet Dragon. I'm certain that list will be helpful to a lot of people together with the further comments. I'm quite happy about the price I paid for mine. They've been here a short while now and appear to be settling well. It's a long time since I've gone into a field and been 'mugged' for nuts! Just as well they're just mowers!!!

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 09:05:16 pm »
There were some very nice Shetland sheep at Sedgemoor yesterday, and lovely displays of products from the Shetland Society.  It was the RBST sale and show.  I didn't dare take a trailer with me .  A lot of stock did not make the reserve prices and I nearly put a couple of lambs in the dog box of the car :innocent: .
Two white Shetland ram lambs went for G17 each :( , I could have overwintered them as stores.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 09:15:39 pm »
Why are Shetland so cheap?

Pondbug

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 07:46:35 pm »
We paid 40 and 45 guineas for shetlands at Dingwall in May and Thainstone in September. I can confirm that Thainstone auctioneers always say the bid price is 'per life' There's no buyer's commission.
Pondbug

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS