Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's the story behind your username?  (Read 24665 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: What's the story behind your username?
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2015, 11:34:39 am »
I got the Doric bit, but I didn't dare hope for REAL dragons - I love dragons  :yippee: (see my Latin quote at the bottom of this message  ;D)

I love your painting, especially 'Year of the Dragon'  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doricdragons

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2015, 11:44:56 am »
Haha! My knowledge of latin is not very good but I am guessing something like "don't tickle a sleeping dragon"?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2015, 01:20:46 pm »
'Don't disturb a sleeping dragon', as in 'let sleeping dogs lie'.  I like 'tickle' though - they might love it  8)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2015, 02:12:26 pm »
I, too, am distinctly lacking in the imagination department!

:dunce:
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2015, 08:09:15 pm »
The surnames Cox, And Coximus was just a typo nickname I've had when I used to programme databases "Coximus bastardised this code" is a common usage :)
That and it sounds cool :)

nonnatus

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2015, 08:38:09 am »
Once upon a time, I was an actual, grown up Midwife.  Delivered many, many babies and enjoyed it enormously.  I think it's why lambing and calving don't phase me?

Whilst I loved midwifery, I hated the NHS - the beaurocracy, the nepotism, the bullying and in-fighting.  It quite wore me down to a frazzle and I got out a decade ago.  Just as happy now as I ever have been.

Saint Nonnatus was the Patron Saint of Midwives, so I've often used Nonnatus as a Forum name because it's quite unique.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2015, 11:05:51 am »
I wasnt going to post on this thread as I thought my name was a bit obvious, but it was interesting reading other's stories so thought I would.

My name came from when I was breeding for dark brown eggs, and kept a flock of English Cuckoo Marans.  I must admit I was really pleased with my flock by the time I packed everything up,  and I do mean quite literally packed everything up: in that I sold my house and all my possessions, except my library of books, bought an American RV and took to the roads with Phoebe my Great Dane as a travelling companion

That was at the end of 2013 and since then I have been to the north of north Shetland, down the west coast of the Highlands all down the Outer Hebrides, Lands End, nearly across to Lowestoft Ness - the easternmost, and was going to Ireland this spring, but my lovely old girl was ill, and I finally lost her in June :(

But the night she died Little Miss Phoebe was born and she is helping to ease the sorrow of losing Phoebe

I had though to changing my user name but its nice when I log in to be reminded of my flock, but I am loving my new life, and can't see me wanting to stop travelling anytime soon:)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

NigelsLiveoutLover

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2015, 09:24:53 am »
Listening to The Lurchers one wet Sunday morning , many years ago, we decided Nigel needed a live out lover. That was before he slipped off the roof neglecting to observe health and safety risk assessment advice.
My husband of myriad years did ask a few probing questions about my name , strangely ......... :hug:

My previous suggestions for names were taken but this one worked...

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2015, 09:11:35 pm »
I was in such a panic when I joined this forum to get some advice on mastitis I think, that I just used my name and I live on a farm!!  not very exciting but I was in a major panic at the time over one of my ewes!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS