Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another identity question  (Read 1994 times)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Another identity question
« on: August 16, 2015, 07:39:16 pm »
In previous years I have purchased weaners and when ready for the big day slap marked them before the abbatoir trip.
This year we have Berkshires. The seller insisted the plastic ear tag he applied to each one would be 'ok for the abbatoir', but this of course is with his herd mark not mine.

Can I leave these in?  Do I need to slap mark with my herd number?  Or do I need to purchase and use metal tags with my own herd number?

It looks like I need to re identify them but I struggle to see the logic of this as currently they are traceable by movement licence to me and as a GMP scientist I know the best way of getting identity confused is to take a label off and apply a new one.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Another identity question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 08:01:47 pm »
Our plastic tags were fine through slaughter. We got heads back so can vouch for this.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 09:12:58 pm »
They need to have the herd mark of the holding of departure, ie yours, either tagged or slap marked depending on what the abattoir want.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 07:49:27 am »
Ok thanks sounds like I can leave them in and just add my slap Mark then.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 07:52:34 am »
Can't see why not as long as the abattoir is happy with slap marks.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 12:42:18 pm »
Yes you must legally leave them on  and add either a 'scald' resistant eartag, or a slapmark with your holding on under The Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) Order 2011 section 22.  'No person may, unless authorised by the Secretary of State, remove or deface an identification mark.'

This may cause some confusion at the slaughterhouse, which is why we recommend that people get their weaners on a temporary mark.

Although if you slapmark, the abattoir should use that in preference to an eartag.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 01:56:10 pm »
That is really helpful thanks.  I've read the regulations and in my professional life I am well used to dealing with EU regs but there is often some interpretation issues and I could not for the life on me get my head around slap marks on black pigs which is why when the breeder offered to put ear tags in rather than temporary marks I went with it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS