Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is there an oral pig wormer?  (Read 10300 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Is there an oral pig wormer?
« on: August 16, 2015, 02:45:17 pm »
My pigs have been coughing a bit and I think they might need worming.
I will speak to the vet and ask for something but it would be easier if there was something I could put in their food, rather than giving an injection. Is there anything?
I would like to talk to the vet armed with information
thanks
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Is there an oral pig wormer?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 03:02:29 pm »
we used to put a lot of wormwood in their food, measured of course so as not to overdose, and that worked ( you have to give it to them every day though). If they're coughing you will need an injection to get rid of them as wormwood keeps the worm burden down, so I had to inject every six months or so.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 05:00:57 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

ZVH

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Hertfordshire
  • BVetMed MRCVS pending
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 04:24:16 pm »
Pigs aren't entirely my strong point, and I have only ever seen/used injectable wormers on the few occasions I've worked with them, but I believe you can give oral fenbendazole (Panacur) or flubendazole powder to counteract lungworm. Do you feed from individual stalls and have a good idea of each animal's weight?

Would probably still be worth a vet check to ensure nothing else is responsible for the coughing.

Good luck!
Sheep farmers - your input into my research project on recognition of foot disease would be greatly appreciated!
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DRQFDTV

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 05:05:47 pm »
Bionic - you can use Flubenol which goes in their food which I am about to embark on using after previously injecting every 6 months. A 600g tub cost me about £50 from York Vet Supplies but will cover 40 sows / applications and has 4 years use by date.
Martha R

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 05:23:13 pm »
Sounds like you going to have to have 10 piggies per year Sally!  :innocent:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 06:40:38 pm »
Hmmm, a 600g tub at £50 does sound a lot for 2 piggies going off to slaughter at the end of Sept

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 07:55:47 pm »
My old vet to me to give mine panacur in their feed.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 11:09:13 pm »
I can't find that Panacur is available for pigs any more?
Sorry Bionic - didn't realise you only had a couple. I've bought a big tub but will take me a while to get through it all so I am happy to mail you some for your two. I can vacpack some - it's about 1g per 10kg bodyweight. PM me if you're interested.
Martha R

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 11:14:27 pm »
You can but I hate it the boss off the pen always gets more than there share an the small one gets not enough then you got to go to the hassle of seperating till they eat by this time you could off injected fallen in the mud been dead from the screaming an be inside with a cup of tea :-)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 08:00:38 am »
Azzdodd, mine feed in the same pen. I give them separate bowls though so they don't squabble and I always wait until they have finished so it wouldn't be a problem for me.

Thanks for the offer Martha. Just about to send you a pm

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 02:37:20 pm »
Use Flubenol (powder on food) 600g tub here, enough for 40 sows and 4 years shelf life. Got it cheaper online from vetmeds direct.

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 09:14:46 am »
Hello,

There is a product called Solubenol (I think) which is a wormer which goes in the water. It is a kind of paste. Not effective against everything but check what you need it for. I buy it from Hyperdrug (online) and you can get a sachet for something like £20 which will do a lot of pigs!

:thumbsup:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 11:39:24 am »
Unfortunately you are very limited nowadays

Basically Panacur which was a pour-on so the easiest and best solution was withdrawn - basically due to Derfra's ridiculous charging scheme for licencing products, which as a real shame as it did gastrointestinal round worms and lungworms.  You just put it in the shoulders of the pig !

in oral wormers you now have

Flubenol does Ascaris suum (large roundworm) including migrating larvae, Hyostrongylus rubidus (red stomach worm), Oesophagostomum dentatum (nodular worm) and Trichuris suis (whipworm) and Strongyloides ransomi (threadworm - adult). Flubendazole is ovicidal.

Solubenol only does Ascaris suum (large roundworm)

So neither does lungworms.

If you go to injectables, then you have 2 types

Doramectin and Ivermectin  both of which do all gastrointestinal round worms, lungworm, lice and mites

Doramectin is sold as Dectomax and is intramuscular, Ivermectin is sold as Noromectin amongst other names and is subcutaneous.

Intra-musular is easier to do as you just shove the needle into a muscle. 

We use a product called slapshot to do our worming, which makes it all really easy

http://www.yorkvetsupplies.co.uk/product/slap-shot-flexible-vaccinator/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui4Ot-Ak0C0

Of course it would pay to see if you have a problem first - for a tenner you can do a worm count

http://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/worm-count-kit-p-2242.html

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:30:38 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 01:05:04 pm »

Flubenol does Ascaris suum (large roundworm) including migrating larvae, Hyostrongylus rubidus (red stomach worm), Oesophagostomum dentatum (nodular worm) and Trichuris suis (whipworm) and Strongyloides ransomi (threadworm - adult). Flubendazole is ovicidal.

Solubenol only does Ascaris suum (large roundworm)

So neither does lungworms.

However ascaris are very common and larvae migrate through lungs so coughing may still be down to ascarids.

Lots of useful advice here, particularly getting a poo sample to see if working needed, and probably worth speaking to vet too.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 03:23:50 pm »
Just a question..... are you able to get a pour on worming mixture for pigs, like you would do with cows? is there such a thing?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS