Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a good salami making book?  (Read 4058 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Can anyone recommend a good salami making book?
« on: August 16, 2015, 11:54:29 am »
Salami and other sausage types would be good. Thanks
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

TonyG

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Can anyone recommend a good salami making book?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 12:05:01 pm »
Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn, ISBN 978-0-393-05829-1. You'll find all you need in there.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 12:05:53 pm »
Thanks Tony, I will take a look  :thumbsup:

ArosP

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 08:25:40 pm »
I find that book quite american, it is really interesting though. The Italian sausage i made from it were really sweet. The methods are good but be wary of sugar content The best salamis i made were with HFW using just acidopholus (?)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 01:49:26 am »
Thanks ArosP. I have a sister book to the one recommended by TonyG and I know what you mean by the American bit.
Lots of people recommend HFW but I have also seen others say that there is too much salt in his recipes.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 11:30:08 pm »
I think the RC 'handbooks' are worth a look. I think the criticisms on the HFW salt content are aimed at his 'Meat' book.  The RC volumes on 'Pork' and 'Curing' are very recent (published this year/last year, and not written by HFW himself) and I have found them very clear and inspiring.

Just butchered our first pig last week. Hams salted, bacon in the cure, salamis hanging to dry...  :excited:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 07:52:46 am »
I think the RC 'handbooks' are worth a look. I think the criticisms on the HFW salt content are aimed at his 'Meat' book.  The RC volumes on 'Pork' and 'Curing' are very recent (published this year/last year, and not written by HFW himself) and I have found them very clear and inspiring.

Just butchered our first pig last week. Hams salted, bacon in the cure, salamis hanging to dry...  :excited:

You have been busy LadyK  :)

The Idiot

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 05:07:07 pm »
You've probably handed over your cash by now, but as an aside Charcuterie by Ruhlman & Polcyn and the RC books are, in my opinion, flawed. Whilst they don't contain anything that'll kill you, they are pretty much riddled with errors, and if you try to scale some of them they just don't work. It's one of the issues with 'recipe' books in charcuterie in general!

Whilst messing around with meat is fun, it has to be taken seriously, and I found the best texts were Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by the Marianskis, and the USDA Processing Inspectors' Calculations Handbook. Neither are a bundle of laughs, but they will give you enough information to make your own calculations. You can decide whether you want to toe the tight USDA line or be a bit more free-spirited, but your choice can be made with an understanding of what the various chemical levels will do to you and the meat!

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 05:03:27 pm »
Try having a look at this site:-

http://www.panoramitalia.com/en/food-wine/article/tips-perfect-homemade-sausage-soppressata/1764/

There are some wonderful older books with real Italian recipes in.......but you have to be fluent in the Italian language, Signora!

a proposito, have a look at this site, get google to do a translation if your italian isn't that good! ;) .

http://www.giannigobbo.com/salami.htm

buona fortuna, Ciao, ;D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 05:24:49 pm by Cosmore »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS