Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 'Post pig' planting  (Read 3074 times)

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
'Post pig' planting
« on: August 15, 2015, 02:05:47 pm »
Hi everyone

We are hoping to use about a third of an acre of our land to rear 3 or 4 weaners next Spring, dividing the area into maybe 3 'paddocks' rotating the pigs through each paddock as they turn it over. We would then look to use the freshly vacated paddock for vegetable cultivation - can anyone advise us if we can plant out the plot immediately after moving the pigs out or should we wait a while? Sorry if this sounds like a numpty question!

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: 'Post pig' planting
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 05:18:20 pm »
When weve had weaners we tended to send them away at the end of the year so we never planted straight after. Our land is quite hard but the pigs did a reasonable job of clearing most growth but not all. They also left deepish holes where we made wallows and they made dust baths. They also have a toilet....
So, what we do (did) was to rotovate the next spring and had a full growing season. Subsequent years have seen more weeds growing and Im not sure if the pigs rooting made weed seeds come to the surface.
im sure someone more knowledge able will come along soon and give their opinion.
Whatever, enjoy your pigs!!!

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 06:29:49 pm »
When we used pigs to turn over our veg garden extension we did pretty much what Scotsdumpy said. Rotovated and levelled it immediately they were away while the soil was still easily worked.

All I'd add is that it may well be worth sowing an over-wintering green manure immediately after the pigs are away to consolidate the soil and prevent any erosion and loss of fertility from leaving it bare.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 08:19:41 pm »
Best cauliflowers I ever grew were after the pigs had been on the land.  They must have been 15 in across, other than in the giant vegetable shows I have never seen anything anywhere near as large, and really quality too.

You could try covering the land (once rotovated and levelled ) with black polythene.  This allows the weed seeds to germinate, but then they perish with no light.  I did this every year on my deep bed system and it worked a treat.  :)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 09:02:07 am »
You'd get more answers from more pig-keepers if you put this in 'Pigs' ;)

The mods would move it for you if you ask them - click 'Report to moderator' at the bottom right, and put 'Please move to Pigs' in the comment box.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 10:35:25 am »
Rotavating is very necessary as the pigs do not leave it flat :) I planted soon after and apart from coming across a few whole turds it has worked well. My ground was pretty neglected and I should have added extra fertiliser though as well as they didn't add as much to the ground as I thought.
________
Caroline

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 04:16:43 pm »
Thank you all for your comments - it has given us a fair idea of how to move forward

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS