Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: back down to one goat :(  (Read 2585 times)

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
back down to one goat :(
« on: August 15, 2015, 12:54:06 pm »
We lost one of our two old pygmy ladies today, the younger of the two. She was unwell thus morning when my tech did the morning visit and in the short time it took to contact the vet and her to come out, she'd gone :(

So I now have one very old, very feisty pygmy back in the paddock next to the sheep! Clearly I need to get her a pal but my Q is this, both of these girls were already outdoor types when they came to us, basically using various 3 sided shelters as it suited them, hay in them obviously, but how adaptable are goats to being more free range rather than going to bed in a shed a night?

I think I'll have to get two goats to avoid the same situation arising in future but am I going to be better hanging on to find two similarly outdoorsy goats or try to 'train'  new ones? I never had a specific goat shed built as we knew these goats were outdoorsy before we took them on, have got capacity in case of ill health etc but not anything for day to day use at the moment.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: back down to one goat :(
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 07:02:42 am »
I put all my pygmy goats in at night, they like their home comforts so can't advise.

Sorry for your loss
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 08:35:43 am »
I'm sorry for your sad loss. I've never kept pygmy goats but could you maybe put a dog coat on a new one at night until she has acclimatised?

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 08:37:31 am »
Im down to my last goat, shes a British Alpine. I dont want anymore due to not getting any younger, bits are starting to play up !
All my fields have field shelters for the sheep and shetland pony l have left.
She now stays with 3 pet sheep in one of the fields, they all sleep together at night in the shelter.
She is really fond of one of the sheep, he is a Suffolk X wether, my very first sheep.
Bought for me to get used to caring for sheep, his name is Dillon and hes a big daftie, Baby ( the goat) rubs her head on him and snuggles into him and he just stands there its so funny to watch.
Sorry for burbling on got carried away, my point is if you have any sheep, instead of getting more goats you could do the same, unless you want more ? Have done some research and there doesnt seem to be any reason not to keep goats with sheep.
If there are l would be interested to know. So sorry for your loss, its never easy, they take a piece of you with them  :bouquet:

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 11:20:02 am »
That's a good point, I might try her in with the sheep again-when we were first given her she was on her own (her companion has died so she came to us to try with the sheep) the sheep were a bit rough with her though it was mostly her fault for not backing down, she's a real character! The littlest sheep in the other hand was scared of her. I might try the two middle-ranking sheep in with her next week, she's certainly been talking to them through the fence etc.

If they don't settle then I'll revert to looking for a new pal, like the idea of a dog coat!

Thanks for helping me think it over, guys, it's difficult when you're sad about the one that's gone but wanting to do the best for the remaining one :(

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 01:11:24 pm »
Sorry to hear about the oldgirl, but at least it was quick for her. :bouquet:
Maybe you would be better getting just one more for now, 2 newcomers may gang up on the old lady? then get another either later or next summer?
If there is shelter there I'm sure she would teach a new girl the ropes, by the time we start getting into winter he/she shoud acclimatise?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS