Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: selling butchered pork  (Read 2874 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
selling butchered pork
« on: August 15, 2015, 10:28:35 am »
Hi,

can anyone point me in the direction of guidance for selling home reared meat please. Im thinking transportation to customers, requirements for producing products at home etc. I plan to use my local abatoir and butcher in 10 months time but I just wanted more info on the rules and regs of DIY.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: selling butchered pork
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 06:34:15 pm »
You will need to register as a food business with your local council environmental health dept. They will tell you everything you need to know. better to get the right info from an EHO than to go with what some internet know it all tells you then find out you did it wrong. It's not difficult and they're there to help.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 07:12:30 pm »
Ditto Hughesy  :thumbsup:
Your local EH officer will keep you right.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 09:11:20 pm »
Thanks guys thats just what I was after. I will look them up and start dreaming!

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 12:23:50 pm »
Yeah EHO is the way to go. He was great regarding our requirements, we can now make and sell jam from our kitchen and we can store and send out pork that has been packaged at the butcher.
The next step is a butchery/kitchen for the business so we can do more ourselves (sausages/bacon)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS