Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 3905 times)

ZVH

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Hertfordshire
  • BVetMed MRCVS pending
Hello!
« on: August 13, 2015, 10:06:46 pm »
Thought I should introduce myself here after initially posting in the Sheep section!

I'm Zara, originally from Lancashire, but currently studying at the Royal Veterinary College in Hertfordshire. I'm due to graduate as a fully-fledged vet in June next year, which is mind-numbingly exciting and terrifying in equal measure.

I'm not from a farming background, but I have developed an interest in large animal practice during my years at university. My first lambing experience in particular sparked an interest in sheep, and I'd like to work on sheep health and welfare becoming as commonplace in veterinary practice and teaching as it is for cattle. I still retain an interest in pets, and have loved horses since a very young age, so hope to start off in all-round mixed practice after qualification.

I love travelling, and have been fortunate enough to work in veterinary projects both in Zimbabwe and the Cook Islands during my student years. I hope to continue combining my career and worldwide travel in years to come, so long as finances will allow!

Whilst the lifestyle of a final year vet student is often not the most forgiving in terms of time for spending on forums, I do hope to pop in when I can. I hope I can be of some assistance, if anything!
Sheep farmers - your input into my research project on recognition of foot disease would be greatly appreciated!
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DRQFDTV

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 06:44:18 am »
Hello and welcome from Sylvia in Devon.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 08:03:09 am »
 :sunshine: and from North Lincolnshire

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:03:29 am »
Hello and welcome from  :raining: Carnoustie :wave:

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 01:47:12 pm »
Welcome to the site  :thumbsup: :wave:
________
Caroline

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 04:07:34 pm »
Hi Zara from another Lancastrian!
Guess what the weather's like at home today???
Yep!   :raining:
Is it time to retire yet?

Quirkygirl

• Joined May 2015
  • Cwmbran, Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 10:01:37 am »
Hi and welcome and good luck with being a Vet    :cow: :sheep: :sheep:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 10:42:28 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum. It will be very good to have a vet on the forum, be prepared for lots of questions   :tired:
I hail from Lancs too, which part of lancs do you hail from? Are you going to study other unusual animals too..... I have water buffalo, if you're interested, my own vet finds them really fascinating ;D
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

ZVH

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Hertfordshire
  • BVetMed MRCVS pending
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 01:28:55 pm »
Thanks, everyone!

Hi Zara from another Lancastrian!
Guess what the weather's like at home today???
Yep!   :raining:

Ee dear, I wouldn't expect anything less  ;D

Hi and welcome to the forum. It will be very good to have a vet on the forum, be prepared for lots of questions   :tired:
I hail from Lancs too, which part of lancs do you hail from? Are you going to study other unusual animals too..... I have water buffalo, if you're interested, my own vet finds them really fascinating ;D

Grew up in Leyland, then I moved out and lived in Central London for 3 years. Had a great time, but it was quite a stark contrast in lifestyle! Hertfordshire is a little more like what I'm used to, plus actually having some farm animals and green in the landscape seems a more suitable environment for a vet.  :)

And I would love to learn more about water buffalo! I've had a couple of encounters with the African variety on their home turf, but have not yet met their Asian cousins. I'll be spending a brief period working at London/Whipsnade Zoo next year, and funnily enough do have an interest in large herbivores. I'd be fascinated to hear more about your herd.
Sheep farmers - your input into my research project on recognition of foot disease would be greatly appreciated!
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DRQFDTV

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 02:43:38 pm »
Hi and welcome!  I completed your sheep survey and would be interested in the results.  Good luck for your final year. :fc:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 02:37:26 pm »
Hi Zara and welcome  :)

I grew up in Hertfordshire - my 12 year has had her heart set on becoming a Vet since she was 2 and as she is a Watford FC fan I am sure she will be thrilled to hear that there is a Veterinary College near her beloved football ground  :thumbsup:

Look forward to hearing more from you when you find the spare time to post here (I am guessing life is very busy for you!)

Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Quirkygirl

• Joined May 2015
  • Cwmbran, Wales
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 08:04:33 pm »
Can I say a big thank you to Zara for agreeing to have my step daughter to email for some info and advice.. Caitlin was over the moon with your advice and she can't wait to start visiting uni's. Caitlin startsher second year at Usk college doing animal management  in a few weeks and got her results from her first year and all glowing..

Thank you again  :sheep: :chook: :dog:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS