Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune kunes best back fat  (Read 3392 times)

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
Kune kunes best back fat
« on: August 13, 2015, 01:04:54 am »
Some interesting info about butchering Kune Kunes having done 4 so far. Just wondering what the lowest back fat depth people have got with theirs?

Cheers

David

HappyHippy

Re: Kune kunes best back fat
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 06:07:02 pm »
Ours are generally around 15-20mm (much the same as trad breeds).
HTH

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 01:53:39 am »
I did well getting 13mm with 2 then. The other 2 were 20.

I'm surprised you say traditional breeds are so high. I know someone who is getting 6mm traditional cross traditional. I was wanting to get better carcases and less waste.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 09:33:28 am »
Hi David,

sounds like you got some lean piggies. What was the dead weight and KO% just out of interest and what was the feeding regime?

I have seen some lean Kunes recently and some real tubby ones so I'm wondering if their are some more traditionally built and some more modern versions any pics would be interesting if you have them. ;D

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 03:32:27 am »
60kg/13mm, 90kg/ 20mm, 80kg /21mm, 40kg /13mm

The first 3 were nearly 4 year old castrated, kept with 3 gilts. They were on 2 feeds. Fruit and veg, then a bucketful mix of pig nuts (about 1 scoop), sugar beet and scoop of oats between them. Reduced feed down to about 1/2 as they went the journey and fruit and veg correspondingly reduced. Sometimes I don't give them any - depends on what I've got - may shove it into the weaners instead. Apart from the first one, the 6 were over weight when I got them in March. He was probably the runt and looked about right fat wise to my untutored eye. I was surprised at the time that he was as much as 13mm.  The gilts have gradually lost some fat, but are still overweight.

The 4th one was about a year old. Got her in February with her larger sister. They were like micro size pigs. They got about the same to eat as the 6 apart from double the pig nuts and less sugar beet. Last couple of months I reduced their feed down to quite a bit less than half a bucket. They grew rapidly. I decided that this one would never make a decent size, so off she went. They were never really fat looking, but certainly not lean.

Seems to be an art getting it right. Trying to have a look at someone's who sends a lot away and consistently gets6mm. Only get to see the carcasses, so need to see a before to get my eye in.  Just seen a Tamworth boar and sow and very surprised at how lean they are. Running together with a litter. Seem very tall, but no width at all across their backs. In comparison mine are all solid and broad. Probably too much!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 02:29:15 pm »
It's not really a good test  when you're comparing some 4 year old pigs with others that were reared specifically to be slaughtered at the usual age. You're right in saying it's a bit of an art feeding pigs to get the right carcass but it's certainly not difficult. What you have to remember is that whatever breed you're dealing with, if it's fat you fed it too much. You can't blame the pig, or it's breed or whatever other excuse people come up with. Certainly different pigs and breeds of pig will have different growth rates, different rates of conversion of feed into growth and different ways in which they lay down fat if given the chance. You have to work with the pigs you've got and feed them accordingly. Even two different litters from the same sire and dam can perform differently so you have to constantly assess their growth and condition in order to feed the right amount. Learn how to condition score your pigs and develop a hard heart when they seem to be still hungry and you'll be on the right road.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 03:53:50 pm »
It does take a while to get your eye in as you say. I never like to scrimp on the first stage of growth when the conversion of feed or milk into the musculature and skeletal structure is the most effective. As this slows down it can be easy to continue feeding at the same rate and get fat rather than growth. Certainly in the case of my lambs.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 02:02:01 pm »
David,

what was the KO % of your kunes. I am trying to estimate butchery costs and freezer space etc. I would like to turn them into sausage as all my friends want bangers rather than joints or chops. 

Looks like an average dead weight would be 65 - 70 kilos depending on the breed if the KO % is 75%?? I'm guessing here.... So I would be turning 45 - 50 kilos into sausage which would equate to how many kilos of sausage?

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 02:23:17 am »
I don't know I'm afraid.  I asked, they couldn't tell me, but a lot was thrown out. Annoyed as obviously you need that information. I got 88, 142, 110, 47 packs respectively. Nearly all 6 sausages in, though some with 4/5. The last pig was younger so took 2 x 1.9kg joints and approx. 2kg to cure for bacon.

Depends on how much cereal / Rusk goes in, but one butcher said add30% to weight to give total gross weight, I guess they meant for addition of water and Rusk / cereal too. I didn't use them in the end. The one I'm using is a bit vague on the sausage mixes. I don't think they are following the seasoning / cereal / Rusk manufacturer's guidelines - using a third less I reckon so another complication to the calculations....

If this helps 9kg of sausage pre addition of water / seasoning / Rusk gives about 23 trays of sausages with my butcher.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS