Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi there  (Read 2148 times)

Happy91

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Norfolk
Hi there
« on: August 09, 2015, 06:24:00 pm »
hey there guys and girls,   

my name is happy I'm 24 and I live in Norfolk.

I'm looking to start a smallholding of the size 8 acres maybe smaller for better food for my family, and so i don't have to work for minimum wage :( and Hopefully something to pass down to the kids in the future,
also i want to start a farm stall at friday markets etc, Wild Camping that sort of thing.

But I don't have a penny to my name, well i have a steady income every month but it goes on the bills and the kids etc. (you know how it is)

So i'm contemplating getting a Loan or mortgage
To help me start up.   

If anyone has any ideas to help me out that would be fantastic stuff,
I look forward to conversing with you.

Love & Light
Happy... 

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Hi there
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 09:56:26 am »
I haven't been in that position myself so can't offer much useful advice but wanted to say welcome to the forum  :wave: 
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 10:19:16 am »
Welcome to the forum  :wave:
Like clydesdale I don't have experience of that sort of thing either but I have my doubts about it. Working a smallholding is hard work and even hader if you want to make it pay in some way. Adding to that is the need to repay a loan. 
Hopefully someone with the right sort of experience will be along shortly and be able to give a more positive view.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 10:59:18 am »
Welcome! But no more positive. If you can rent, it means you don't have the capital outlay but of course it's never yours. And making a living is hard, even if you want to live simply. You can make a profit - but on a small scale, it's not a living. Track down a report commissioned by the Soil Association on making a living off ten acres.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 11:26:55 am »
Welcome to the forum. I also wanted to be much more self sufficient and bought a property with 3.5 acres last year (with a mortgage), I have to say though that the set up costs aren't small and if I wasn't working full time I wouldn't be able to afford the repayments/bills. Do you have any experience of life on a small holding, I don't so for me it is a huge learning curve as well (probably the reason I am not making any profit  :farmer:)

I really hope you find a way, but probably need to start small. My land feels huge at the moment and a lot to maintain and fence. When I was looking at my options, I noticed the council had a number of smallholdings that they rent out, that might be a way in?
________
Caroline

Quirkygirl

• Joined May 2015
  • Cwmbran, Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 12:53:05 pm »
Welcome and good lucky. I know like me everyone on here has their fingers and toes crossed for you, that you make your dream come true..
I'm in the same boat as you but looking for the rental side of things at this time. 

Happy91

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 06:38:13 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome :),     

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 07:13:37 pm »
I hope your dreams come true but, as said unless you have vision and find a niche market AND work all the hours G od sends you will struggle, especially with a huge mortgage to pay.
Thirty years ago I had 40 acres (some of it mountain and strand) and, too thought I could make a living from it. Unfortunately I had no vision, so no niche market and just struggled along day to day but in the most beautiful place you could wish for.
I had no electricity, no mains water and I (and the children when old enough) worked every hour just to stay there.
Do I regret it.........not for a minute!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 11:59:59 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire. Just got back from a holiday in Norfolk.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS