Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Abattoir or Butcher?  (Read 3798 times)

Louise P

• Joined Jul 2015
Abattoir or Butcher?
« on: August 09, 2015, 04:11:06 pm »
Hi all. My butcher is unfortunately stopping cutting animals for other people so now I have sheep pigs and cows almost ready to go but I don't know what to do.
I normally have the beef hung for 2 weeks then have it cut into 16 equal lots to sell to friends. Does anyone get their meat cut like this from the abattoir or do I need to find another butcher?
Thanks in advance

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Abattoir or Butcher?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 04:18:26 pm »
Not all abattoirs have cutting facilities. Not all butchers are licensed to cut up others people's meat. Why don't you ask your abattoir first? Where are you? People might then reply saying what they do in your area.

Louise P

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 06:50:10 pm »
Oh sorry harmony, I meant to add that lol. I am near chorley in Lancashire.

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 08:04:40 am »
We use E.M.&T Jackson in Over Tabley. Its J19 of M6 so quite a way away for you, but they are happy to cut the meat for you. To be honest, it wasn't the best bit of butchery, so I would suggest only getting them to cut into primal cuts. Sheep are £5 kill £10 kill and cut. Pigs are £15 kill and no idea for kill and cut as haven't used them (we invested in 2 butchers knives and a bone saw and with the aid of YouTube have managed a pretty good job ourselves - if you are interested I can send you the links or speak to you about how to do it). They said a cow kill is about £75, not used them for ours yet as she is only 7 weeks old! PM if you want more details etc.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 05:00:04 pm »
Is j19 of the m6 a time portal that takes you to 1980  :roflanim:
 Seriously would love to have prices like that as  the margins would be so much better - you are very lucky - we are closer to £45 - £50 for slaughter and butchery  of a sheep

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 07:04:27 pm »
newton in haslington near crewe by j17 m6
very similar prices we went with pigs £15 kill + £10 to cut up

Louise P

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 08:57:46 pm »
Thanks for your replies guys. Crickey it's cheap there isn't it. We're about £20 to kill and cut lamb and around £80 to kill, cut and some sausage from the pigs.
I ended up taking the lambs and pigs to lakes and dales for the butchery but I wasn't happy with what I got back. It was rough cut and not labelled. My old butcher does a fantastic job of the labelling and presentation which I feel makes all the difference when you're selling it on.
Luckily I've managed to persuade my butcher to do my cattle for me this year. I'm going to have to speak to him really nicely and try and convince him to keep doing it for me  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS