Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to stop tagged ear from bleeding?  (Read 3628 times)

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
How to stop tagged ear from bleeding?
« on: August 07, 2015, 11:24:15 pm »
I have a nine week old weaner boar who's ear tag is obviously uncomfy/itchy and it appears that he keeps rubbing it hard on posts and the side of the house. It has been bleeding on and off for a week now but I'm not sure what I can do to stop him itching/rubbing it on things. Anyone got any advice? I suppose it could have just got caught on the fence and is a bit itchy/infected so is irritating him. Or my other weaner boar is biting (I haven't seen them biting each other)??? :(
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

HappyHippy

Re: How to stop tagged ear from bleeding?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 11:34:36 pm »
I would get hold of him and give it a really good clean (a toothbrush will get in under it) then dry it and spray with antibiotic spray. If you suspect that it's catching on something try putting something over it - you can buy self adhesive pads very cheaply at the chemist which would work (as would a couple of strips of micropore tape) just keep an eye on it. If it's not any better in a few days you might need to get an antibiotic jab or consider removing the tag (on vets advice and if he's pedigree registered you'll need to let the BPA know too I think)
HTH

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 09:24:32 am »
I agree, the next thing, otherwise, could be that it gets badly infected and puffy.

LisaBellamy

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 04:02:43 pm »
I had the same problem with both my Tamworths -I cleaned them up a few times with a weak solution of Dettol and then used an antibiotic spray. After a few weeks one pig's ear just healed up but I had to remove the other one's tag as it was really manky - it wasn't easy. I tagged them both when they were little, thinking it'd be easier but now have to re-tag him just before they go off to the abattoir ( the farmer I got them from recommended that and I wished Id paid heed) . I think those metal tags which every one recommended are pretty brutal and have left a big hole in the one who's tag is still in. Good luck :pig:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 04:06:55 pm »
If it was just for the abattoir I would slap mark instead of ear tags.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS