Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To make my own silage or not?  (Read 4814 times)

TonyG

• Joined Apr 2014
To make my own silage or not?
« on: August 04, 2015, 06:08:47 pm »
I'm considering investing in equipment to bale and wrap mini silage bales and would appreciate advice from anyone with any knowledge of this. I currently have 54 Soay sheep plus lambs and as this breed takes so long to mature it adds up to a lot of winter feed, I've tried growing winter feed but can't compete with the rabbits and deer.  Standard size bales are to heavy for my compact tractor and too much for my sheep to use so I end up wasting up to 2/3 of each bale.
Getting the equipment would be a big investment but I would have more than enough bales to sell some on and could also bale other smallholders grass for them to offset costs.  The question is would there be a big enough market (N E Scotland) to justify the costs and could I cover the costs within say 5 years?  Any thoughts would be welcome, thanks.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: To make my own silage or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 08:56:31 pm »
Hi Tony, I'm in the NE of Scotland, went down the mini bale and wrap for haylage route , not so weather dependent and able to store it outside.
As you have realised the set up cost will take along time to recoup in finance terms.  As for selling surplus you are going to have to compete with the big boys , one makes in big bales then rebales and wraps later for sale, another makes his haylage in the mini size ready to go and another rebales in to vacpacs . All 3 are very efficient and rely on the economy of scale.
If you produce for some one else be sure they know the cost before starting (Fuel , wear and tear ,your time  ,net and bale wrap ) and remember you arnt  a charity,  there is a market but it depends on how much profit you are looking for to undercut others
I wont cut and bale for any one else ( or lend out kit )for the following reasons , I have damaged equipment in other folks parks , the surprise set of harrows in the long grass or "sure there's no stones" just chuffing big rocks that the mower wont cut ! and finally  HOW MUCH !!!!!

On the upside the saving on waste and ease of handling will help offset the production cost.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 10:28:16 pm »
Wrappers are expensive. The cheaper end all have to have each bale lifted on then lifted off, not light work. They are best stacked onto pallets when lifted off for ease of moving, so long as you have fork tines for your tractor. The best set up I have seen cost €68,000.

TonyG

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 07:01:10 am »
Thanks Buttermilk & Rupert, you are both echoing my own thoughts, £68,000??? that must be some setup, I've priced up at around £12,000.  My tractor will lift 400Kg on the front loader so moving a pallet load of mini bales isn't a problem, a little more research I think.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 08:00:05 am »
It was a baler and two wrappers working together so did not have to stop and wait for the wrapping part. I am trying to remember which comparison sight had the video and details, it is only three days ago I had it on the computer too...

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:00:06 am »

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 08:29:42 pm »
Thanks Buttermilk & Rupert, you are both echoing my own thoughts, £68,000??? that must be some setup, I've priced up at around £12,000.  My tractor will lift 400Kg on the front loader so moving a pallet load of mini bales isn't a problem, a little more research I think.
I take it that would be new price,
There have been a couple of 2nd hand bits on gumtree recently, the wrapper shouldn't be a problem, as for a baler it would need to be checked very carefully and finding out a bit of history having said that if its a non asian make getting parts and service wont be a problem  get a service and parts manual .
I know of one mini baler sold to a local chap from another local farmer who put several thousand bales through it, I lent the chap my rake wheels as a pattern so the blacksmith could make a set for him . Its still going strong

TonyG

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 03:18:14 pm »
Another query for you Rupert, have you worked out the cost per bale to produce the bales including fuel, netting and wrap?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 08:22:33 pm »
Another query for you Rupert, have you worked out the cost per bale to produce the bales including fuel, netting and wrap?

Wow that took a bit of working out , here we are, this years costs,  bale wrap 8 layers £1.24, net £0.31 fuel cost taking in to account cutting, turning,baling and carting in from the park and wrapping £0.12.
 So a total of £1.67 per bale .
Not counting labour ( of love ) bag or two of sweeties a shear bolt and some juice !

TonyG

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 09:03:16 am »
That's great Rupert, it's looking better all the time.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 10:27:34 am »
if youre needing to make this pay and produce a reliable crop of grass to cut and remove each year there is also going to be a heavy toll on soil nutrients, needing either lots of muck, chemical fertiliser or both, its a further cost to throw into the mix ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS