Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb price  (Read 10419 times)

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
Lamb price
« on: August 04, 2015, 03:26:01 pm »
Several friends have asked if I will sell them a half lamb from my Cotswolds. I did intend to send them to market in the near future but could send them to the abattoir instead. What price are folks asking for a half lamb butchered and ready for the freezer?

Regards, David

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Lamb price
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 03:58:14 pm »
Last autumn  sold our at about £9 /Kg  (not vacuum packed ) .  Lots of previous threads on this
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 04:00:47 pm »
weve talked about this before and there is a huge regional variation in price.
In April I paid £42 for half a Ryeland lamb butchered into a variety of cuts but that is apparently terribly cheap. I just heard today that a neighbour is selling whole ( mule ) lambs already butchered for £110.
this is South Lancashire
Is it time to retire yet?

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 07:01:23 pm »
Whatever your friends are prepared to pay for quality meat with known provenance ;D .  I charge £50 a half but my neighbour (who obviously has friends with more money) charges £70-80.  Bagged  into joints but not vac-packed.  Worth trying and interesting to get feedback on the meat you produce.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 07:27:22 pm »
Its worth say £50 in the market (lets saaay 50 anyway), £31 to cut and vac pac, £10 fuel to drop off another £10 to collect. I'd say £50 a half only covers these costs if you are lucky with nothing for your time so at £50 you are doing people a favour - unless its a crap little scraggly thing!

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 07:31:16 pm »
£31 to cut and vac pack????

Our abbatoir kills, butchers into a variety of cuts , OK just bagged, not Vac-Packed but they charge £25 a sheep! And as they are 4 miles from me I couldn't for shame charge £20 for deisel
Is it time to retire yet?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 07:56:23 pm »
Vac pack cost about £8 a sheep so £31 about right.

Please don't under sell ..... doesn't do the trade or your business any good ( don't forget how much it has cost to rear the lambs (and feed their mothers)

I have quoted this website before ....

http://www.meat-prices.co.uk/ which give up to date prices ..... and yes my £9 / kg is still about right for non-vac pac.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 08:54:12 pm »
When we have lleyn lambs butchered we sell them at £60 a half lamb that includes chops and I always have the joints halved, so that if people want to roast them they dont have to roast a full piece. The lamb chops are always a lot bigger than the supermarket ones and are always grass reared. I slaughtered 4 lambs last year, two lleyns a cross which was charrolais x lleyn, that was the mum the lambs dad was also a lleyn, the lamb was huge but tasted average. The other lamb was a welsh x lleyn, the best of the whole lot and big too. All grass reared.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 10:31:21 am »
£31 to cut and vac pack????

Our abbatoir kills, butchers into a variety of cuts , OK just bagged, not Vac-Packed but they charge £25 a sheep! And as they are 4 miles from me I couldn't for shame charge £20 for deisel

The butcher I use charges £12-50 to cut up and vac pack my lambs!! Also £12-50 at the abbatoir

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 10:35:38 am »
So we know that lamb prices are down this year. Do you think that we should be reducing our 'in a box' prices too, or should they be able to stay the same year on year as our costs haven't changed?

Obviously it's supply and demand etc, but I've already had somebody allude that I should be selling at a bargain price this year, and this is the first year we'll be selling any anyway!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 12:09:44 pm »
So we know that lamb prices are down this year. Do you think that we should be reducing our 'in a box' prices too, or should they be able to stay the same year on year as our costs haven't changed?

Obviously it's supply and demand etc, but I've already had somebody allude that I should be selling at a bargain price this year, and this is the first year we'll be selling any anyway!

Don't drop prices imo - the value of and work put into your product hasn't dropped. I'd expect prices to remain fairly stable even if supermarket prices don't.

If someone doesn't want to pay that price, then let them walk away :)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 01:19:44 pm »
I dont take into consideration lamb prices thats silly.  As retail is still high so buyers are not paying knocked down prices. Going low is what has damaged the UK market if you sell quality lamb then you sell at quality prices. The prices at market are irrelevant.  Tell people to go else where if they start dictating prices to you.  Your costs in raising, cutting, transport etc.  Min £60 for half.   I think 6 yrs ago we were selling loads around £70 per half.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 01:36:29 pm »
I sell half lambs at £7 a kilo on North Lincolnshire

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 03:01:26 pm »
People are paying for traceability, locally produced, good welfare.... Definitely don't sell cheap. £50-75 for half depending on size and I sell a whole lamb butchered for £130 now (not vac packed). Costs are £28.50 at abattoir, a bit for petrol but still better return than taking to market and you know they have not had the added stress of going through market being poked and prodded before crammed onto a lorry for final trip.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 03:10:21 pm »
I dont take into consideration lamb prices thats silly.

Yes, I told them that until Tesco lowers their selling prices, neither will I.  I think it was just somebody who had watched Countryfile and now thought they know everything there is to know about sheep TBH  ;).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS