Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: difficulty in selling  (Read 4654 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
difficulty in selling
« on: August 04, 2015, 10:06:42 am »
Guys I may need advice in selling techniques. I am trying to sell two buff Sussex hens, but I can't seem to sell them could anyone give me any advice? I did try selling them at mart but I failed to book them in and I realized my mistake on the day. I need them gone ASAP and the next mart is next month. The problem is they're interfering with my other hens laying patterns and am really worried if I don't sell em soon that I will have to start buying in eggs, which I was hoping to avoid. I have tried all the free ads websites and have only had timewasters. Am I doing something wrong?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
Re: difficulty in selling
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 10:09:34 am »
I've bought and sold poultry in our area on Facebook and Preloved.  Ceredigion smallholders and pets is a very active group for that sort of thing https://www.facebook.com/groups/210460872390089/ and also Poultry in Wales https://www.facebook.com/groups/193940877329428/
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 11:52:52 am »
Im sorry Im not closer to you WBF as I have and want more Buff Sussex.
I find that all my pullets sell quickly on Preloved. In fact I have more buyers than pullets. Have you posted nice photos of them? Described their eggs and laying habits? described their characters?

I don't know what you mean about them interfering with the laying of your other hens. Can you explain?
Is it time to retire yet?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 12:20:51 pm »
WFB, I guess you are about an hour from me. I would have them if you were closer. If you need to come further this way for anything let me know and we could meet half way.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 01:06:35 pm »
Im sorry Im not closer to you WBF as I have and want more Buff Sussex.
I find that all my pullets sell quickly on Preloved. In fact I have more buyers than pullets. Have you posted nice photos of them? Described their eggs and laying habits? described their characters?

I don't know what you mean about them interfering with the laying of your other hens. Can you explain?
Thanks for the kind comments guys I think I will try facebook. :) Yep I did all that, but not a lot of people are interested. They interfere by trying to block the other hens from going into the house to lay, I have tried to resolve the issue by separating them, but the house got trashed ( which I pu them in) so I've had to put them back together again. Now they just keep fighting and its driving me nuts.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 01:08:05 pm »
WFB, I guess you are about an hour from me. I would have them if you were closer. If you need to come further this way for anything let me know and we could meet half way.
Thank you Bionic, I'll have to think about it though but I'll let you know if I go that way. :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 02:56:34 pm »
I suggest putting them somewhere else for a few days, even if they have to be quite tightly confined, then reintroducing them, by which time they should be at the bottom of the pecking order.  When advertising you could always go for the "Aah" factor and give them cute names.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 03:57:01 pm »
interesting that your Buffs are dominant. Mine are easily my biggest hens but they are way down the pecking order and just seem to want a very quiet life. Here its the Light Sussex who rule the roost and chase the dog. I hope you find them homes soon, I think they are lovely birds

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 07:49:57 pm »
I had some buff sussex beautiful birds and they did the same thing as yours are doing, sold them on preloved within a week.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 10:48:07 pm »
I rehomed a feisty cockerel once by getting him to write his own advert on Gumtree  :innocent:

I think he said something like Mum had told him to pack his little case as he was too amorous with her precious little posh hensy wensys or something like that. And that he was looking for some gorgeous lady friends who had more stamina.  I had three requests for him within 4 hours.

He added a self portrait and he was damned handsome light sussex with a fantastic black collar. :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 09:48:17 am »
that's a brilliant idea

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 03:46:24 pm »
Strangely enough, the only pullets I've ever had trouble selling were buff Sussex too.  Everything, even crosses sell quickly, normally straight away. For a time I had people phoning me up for buff Sussex, but when I put these up they stuck... Gone now mind. Good luck.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS