Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody turkey  (Read 5085 times)

Tamsjute

• Joined Jun 2015
Broody turkey
« on: August 03, 2015, 07:48:25 pm »
One of my turkey hens has been broody for about 6 weeks now, so I turfed her off what I thought would be a clutch of chicken eggs, which she had claimed.

What I actually found in her nest was a bottle of fly spray for my ponies (which I had been looking for), some flubenvet and a pot of poultry spice  -and one maran egg.
She was quite insistant about getting back on her nest so I removed all my lost items, cleaned it all out and changed her egg for a fresh one.
Silly girl  :roflanim:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Broody turkey
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 09:19:28 pm »
Since she's been sitting for six weeks rather than leave her for another three to hatch the chicken egg I'd be inclined to stop her being broody.   We're heading towards Autumn and she needs to build her weight back up and get some regular exercise.

Tamsjute

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 09:57:20 pm »
Yes, I see your point - I was hoping she would stay off the nest and even removed it from the house but was sitting on other hens while they were laying and causing a fair few problems. She'll not be short of feed and there is a heat lamp should it get colder (which the turkeys tend to love)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 11:24:06 am »
bloomin' pains, broody turkeys!
Got one here, she's amusing but its rather annoying and can't "break" her...
Little Blue

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 08:30:22 pm »
Do you have a puppy cage or some old fireguards you can rig up into a cage in a breezy spot? If you leave her outside in it with a covering on the roof in case of rain or sun during the day and take her into a shed at night, still in the cage.  Sprinkle her favourite food around - once she gets up and stays up for ten minutes or so you.re in with a chance.

Tamsjute

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 07:27:01 pm »
She's up again now acting like a normal turkey. I just had to chuck her off her nest a few times a day!

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 09:44:08 am »
Oh dear,

I fear I may be totally smitten by my turkeys :thinking:  I read your post about the eclectic mix of items that your Turkey had collected and just thought "aw bless" :love:

Then I read little blues comment and thought, - I know that I should think "how annoying" but I don't find my broody hens annoying either. But then I already know that I am smitten by my chickens...I went as far as writing a book about them for heavens sake but I can see that I am already a sucker for my turkeys idiosyncratic ways.  :eyelashes:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 02:08:11 pm »
(Apologies its taken so long to reply!)

I do love Mrs Turkey... I've got some ace photos of her with eggs under her and random chickens snuggled in under her wings for the warmth!
It's just that she stole all the eggs and broke quite alot. No chicks... but did "adopt" the two that were hen-hatched, once their mum decided they were old enough to fend for themselves.

She does get stroppy with the cockerel, Jarvis. Shouts at him, chases him (slowly! It's funny to watch!) and if she gets close enough, will peck his wattles.
But otherwise, she's a dear old thing! Aged 3 and half now
Little Blue

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 04:56:37 pm »
If she goes broody again this year it might be worth getting some fertile turkey eggs for her, if you don't have a stag of your own.  Hen eggs are very unlikely to have strong enough shells to withstand her weight.  I let my broody turkeys raise poults - they do a much better job than the incubator and me.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS