Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaners - are they on track?  (Read 5490 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Weaners - are they on track?
« on: August 03, 2015, 10:55:41 am »
My GOS weaners are now 18 weeks old. I measure them every 2 weeks and they are gaining each time.
Anyone know roughly what they should measure now and at slaughter time?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
Re: Weaners - are they on track?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 12:08:00 pm »
That made me look back at old blog posts and I found one for our first ever Tamworths in 2013 at 19 weeks old (http://smallplotbigideas.co.uk/2013/09/13/pig-check-point-19-weeks-old/) - apparently I calculated that they were around 40kg at that age if that helps.

As for the slaughter weight that depends on what you want from them and how much feed you're willing to pay for. My plan for this year is to send our 2 off at about 80-90kg but I need to check them tonight as they might have gone a bit over that by now  ;D

Either way in the next couple of weeks I'm looking forward to some lovely pork and crackling as well as the usual sausages etc.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 12:21:43 pm »
I haven't kept GOS but the OSBs and Large Blacks I sent away at 43"-45" girth and were around 72-75kgs liveweight, 60-63kgs deadweight.  Great for pork, you'd want them a bit larger for bacon, really.  The OSB was 7 months old, the LBs took a bit longer to get the same girth-  but I forgave them when I tasted the meat  :yum:

Someone posted once that a porker wanted to be up to your knees - I took him to mean an average man's knees, so a few inches higher up than mine! - and mine were about that.

The last one I had away was a larger, older Saddleback x OSB, for bacon, and I was a bit concerned she may have too much fat depth.  So I cut her hard food right down for the last fortnight / three weeks to take some fat off.  (She had plenty of grazing and vegetables, so she wasn't starved.)  It worked brilliantly, she had just the right amount of fat.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 12:40:14 pm »
Thanks both. Mine are 31" and 28" girth at measuring last Friday so they have a fair way to go yet but then I expect to have them for 2 more months.
Surprisingly the one who had the rectal prolapse earlier is doing the best. Mind you she is the most bolshy one and will 'hog' all the food if I let her so I have been putting it into 2 seperate bowls to stop her from pushing the other one away. 
They are having a measured amount of nuts and quite a bit of fruit and veg direct from the grocers so I will just keep on with more of the same and continue monitoring their progress.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 02:26:31 pm »
The breed and the strain you have will play a big part in how well and how quickly they finish, as will how well their dam milked and what they were fed while they were still with her, when the food conversion rate is at its most efficient.  The views of the back end of a pig that are in the starter pack you're sent when you first get your herd no. are a good guide to how they should look. 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 05:48:55 pm »
Fearings do a weigh tape that helps you calculate actual weight not girth. We tested it against the scales and it was pretty close.

As Marches Farmer says the food conversion rate is best the younger the pigs. I wouldn't recommend SallyintNorth's cut in food at the last minute as it is more likely to cause a lay down of fat - the pig thinks there is a food shortage coming and it should make reserves. Swapping to a lower protein food has the same effect.

You should feel your pigs regularly along the back bone. If they feel well covered but firm you aren't doing bad. If they feel squidgy they are putting on fat. Better to not let them get too fat to start with. Tamworths and Large Blacks can look lean but can still have quite a fat layer. I would happily take my Lops to a £100 kilo live weight and have little fat. GOS I would not take to that weight.

With modern dry cures for bacon some fat is necessary but you don't need as much as a traditional bacon pig would have had. They would have been well over the £100 kilo mark.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 06:22:28 pm »
I wouldn't recommend SallyintNorth's cut in food at the last minute as it is more likely to cause a lay down of fat - the pig thinks there is a food shortage coming and it should make reserves. Swapping to a lower protein food has the same effect.

Aye, that's why I said they got plenty veg - you don't want them to think they're being starved, just cut down the high-octane food.  (Not that I ever feed traditional pigs a high protein feed.  They get sow rolls from 4 months on, and not the top-spec feed from 8-16 weeks.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 06:55:25 pm »
I do feel them regularly. They love a cwtch and are happy to be touched. They feel covered and firm  :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 07:31:13 pm »
All my GOS get 16% sow & weaner nuts all the time. 

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 08:17:45 pm »
Hello there....
We've just taken off our three GOSs.... all 25 weeks old, one smaller than the others...
We've always been a bit lazy and never measured them to assess weight, so over last three years have always taken them off at 23/24 weeks.  We've always had dead weight of 70-75kg (save for this year's obviously littler one at 62kg).  Just got the booty back on Friday - and now having, as ever, 'the best pork ever'.

The day of dispatch seemed particularly challenging this year (piggies did NOT want to unload) so we went home feeling that misery that I suspect is the smallholder's lot - all that love and care seeming to go a bit wrong at the very end....) BUT, then I revisit TAS threads about that sad bit, and all the responses about what good lives we all try to give our precious animals, and if we want to eat meat etc....

Ok, I've gone off on one, sorry.  Am sure your GOSs will be FAB!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 09:41:41 am »
I know you didn't starve them SallyintNorth and you were happy with your finished pig but having seen many growing and finished pigs I wouldn't recommend a cut of hard food at the last minute.

I also know a lot of people who feed traditional breeds sow nuts because they think finisher rations are too high in protein for traditional pigs but actually that isn't true. You will get a better carcase with finisher but people are also put off by the cost so they feed cheaper and feed for longer to get to the same weight so it is false economy.

Obviously commercial units want fast growing pigs, ready to kill as soon as possible whereas most smallholders are looking for taste, which takes time.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 10:08:21 am »
Not sure about that one.  We used to be a finishing unit for the Traditional Breeds Meat Marketing Scheme, set up by the Rare Breeds Survival Trus,t and the butcher in Ledbury who took all our pigs used to refer new pig keepers to us for advice on what to feed to get the finest quality pork possible.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 10:27:32 am »
I've always used sow and weaner nuts until the end. I didn't know there was such a thing as finisher nuts.
Should I be feeding them and if so when?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 11:31:35 am »
You rarely hear anyone say their home bred pork didn't taste good and people will finish their own way. I know different butchers who like different amounts of fat for example, they know what sells in their shops.

My friend also finished for the TBMMS. Later he finished pigs for several different butchers and spent a lot of time looking at finished carcase quality, feeding regimes, talking to feed companies and looking at profit margins. He finished mostly traditional breeds.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 12:39:48 pm »
Let's face it. most people on here are finishing a couple of porkers for their own consumption and carcass quality isn't critical. nor is the size and/or weight of the finished pig. If however you are in the business of producing a decent carcass then adjusting feed a couple of weeks before slaughter isn't going to work. If you need to do that you've been getting it wrong for a long time. Pigs need to be monitored over their whole post weaning life and fed according to their condition. It's not rocket science. I was having a conversation with the owner of the abattoir that we use a couple of weeks ago. He was complimentary about our Saddlebacks and we discussed the weird and wonderful array of pigs that he deals with every week. One thing we agreed upon was this, a fat pig isn't fat because of it's breed, it's fat because it's been fed too much.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS