Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping chickens cooped up  (Read 4396 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Keeping chickens cooped up
« on: March 15, 2010, 07:52:42 pm »
We are planning to keep chickens in a large paddock - so sort of semi free-range.

We heard that if we are free ranging them and want them to return to the coop easily then we should keep them cooped up and feed and water them in there for the first three days after getting them home. (The coop is spacious with laying boxes and a roost so they would be comfortable enough I think).

Is this recommended or is it an old wives tale?

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Keeping chickens cooped up
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 07:56:09 pm »
I would certainly enclose them close to the run at least until they come for corn. I corn ours at dusk by the hen house and they all go off to bed fine. Alternatively, you can have great fun herding the up at night!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 07:59:09 pm »
i would.

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 08:20:41 pm »
My chickens are in a medium sized enclosure (~200 sq ft) but normally I let them out every afternoon into a paddock.  They always go back of their own accord at dusk, but if I'm away they just stay in their enclosure.

I agree, keep them enclosed for a few days so that they know where home is, and they'll always come back to it.

John

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 08:35:31 pm »
Yes keep them in for a couple of days and do all feeding near the house.  They will go in of their own accord at dusk.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 08:47:42 pm »
Thanks all for your advice.

I plan to keep them in the hen house and get them used to us and try and get them taking corn from our hand. Will they do that?

Then move them out during the day.

They will have the run of the orchard but I am thinking of putting an electric netting fence about 1 metre in from the orchard fence and then each evening we can put the chooks to bed, switch the fence off whilst we run the dog around the perimeter to establish doggy scent to put off the fox and then keep the fence on overnight. Do you think that'll protect them?

We saw a very healthy looking fox in the lane the other night when we came up the road. Very noble. Beautiful brush and not a spot of mange...... so I've eyeballed the competitionjavascript:void(0);

Susanna

PS Have sent DH off to get corn in the morning. I am planning to name the hens after my nieces

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 08:54:10 pm »
I don't mean to interfere and don't know how old your nieces are, but how would they feel if the hen named after them dies? :o

I've never had Opringtons, but I know they have a reputation for being very friendly so I'm sure you'll get lots of feathery cuddles.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 09:06:47 pm »
Not sure if the doggie scent works, but some of ours are free ranging over 7 acres and have so far not been attacked by fox... we have a wire haired foxterrier and she definitely marks her territory... so I think it might be quite a good idea... Also we use electric poultry netting for our more valuable (younger) chooks, and that works well too.

Anke.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 09:08:47 pm »
never use the name lucky. everything we call it dies.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 09:14:09 pm »
My son keeps calling his favourite chicken Paxman.  We are now on Paxman number 5.  I keep telling him that the name is a jinx, but he's sticking to it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 09:23:56 pm »
None of mine are names except the one I got from QWOLF who use to post on here.  He called her Lucky because she was the only one of four to survive a long hot car journey to his place, she was also lucky because she became aggressive with his younger chicks and was going to be hmmm 'lost', but he couldn't do it and gave her to me instead as we reckoned she wouldn't attack mature birds. She was lucky again because Jamie didn't kill her for having a go at a couple of HIS ladies, then she was lucky the other day when she escaped into the back garen and the dogs cornered her to play with her, I caught her and returned her to her own side of the gate.  So she has been named well ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 09:35:31 pm »
Not sure if the doggie scent works, but some of ours are free ranging over 7 acres and have so far not been attacked by fox... we have a wire haired foxterrier and she definitely marks her territory... so I think it might be quite a good idea...
Anke.

My sister-in-law is absolutely certain that dogs keep foxes away. She had no problems at all for years until their German pointer died last year and then within two weeks they started to have fox trouble.

So there's going to be puppy perimeter control, electric fencing, lock-up at night..... this is beginning to sound like a prison camp!!!!javascript:void(0); all I need is a movement sensitive search light!!

My nieces are called Sophie, Ciara and Rhianna but I doubt they will ever come and visit us so I'll just send them pix of the chickens

Susanna

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 09:52:21 pm »
I'm absolutely 100% convinced that our GWP bitch kept foxes away.  we used to let her out to roam at 11.30 every night till we got new neighbours who said she pooped on tier grass which was unfenced, and every other animal in the hamlet did the same, except that Hester was walked first so we know she didn't, but they weren't convinced.  So hester was only walked on teh walkable bits and guess what, the foxes came back.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS