Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dust bath  (Read 5911 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Dust bath
« on: March 15, 2010, 06:19:23 pm »
How do I make a dust bath for my chickens. Wales is very wet - any dust bath will turn into a mud bath!!!

Any suggestions?

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Dust bath
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 07:33:18 pm »
I've got a box about 2ft x 3ft maybe, with a roof, I've got sand in it just now but they don't really like it. They did like compost though.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 09:01:54 pm »
Can you make a leanto that they can shelter under?  They will probably naturally make a dust bath under it especially if you take the turf off.  Mine have made a dust bath under a tree and outside under their nest boxes.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 09:10:36 pm »
Mine have an area in their run that is under a tree so is dry most of the time - that's sharp sand in there, then out in the garden they rummage about at the bottom of the bank where the old bark chippings from years ago have accumulated so it is sort of composted.  It's under trees and bushes too so is bone dry
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 09:16:00 pm »
mine use an area where ive placed 2 straw bales and a wood roof , is has been wet but theres a big hole where theyve been useing it, chuck in some mite dust later in the year

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 09:26:14 pm »
Thankyou very much for your very helpful suggestions

I think I might look at raising the hen house a little higher and hollowing out underneath a bit so that they can go there.

Will that be OK? or is it just making shelter for every other mouse/rat/vole in the vicinity?

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 10:11:19 am »
trees seem to be the favorite spot so far ours loe to get under them to dust them
selves down :chook:
Langdon ;)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 10:15:33 am »
I have a scrap car and a Jet-Ski in my field. Naturally the ground underneath them is dry and dusty and provides an ideal dust-bath for them. Failing that I often see them under the conifers...

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 12:42:31 pm »
At the side of our hen run are planted some climbing plants, and the base of them tends to be quite dry and dusty.  The girls have adopted that as their dustbath area as it gets a lot of sun and they snooze there too (is it just me who finds it really funny to see them lying almost on their side, feathers fluffed out, and feet waggling madly to chuck some dust up?   ;D  )

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 12:59:12 pm »
The first time I saw one of my hens doing that I thought she had died as she was lying quite still other than the feet moving.  :'( :'(  It WAS a long time ago in my chicken owning life. ::) ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 03:43:08 pm »
I wouldn't recommend allowing access underneath their shed as this may turn into a haven for rats and other undesirables. Their shed will need to be as close to the ground as possible, maybe raised on bricks with an air-brick per side for ventilation but nothing big enough for a mouse or rat to get through.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS