Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone still to cut hay?  (Read 27853 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Re: Anyone still to cut hay?
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2015, 05:55:39 pm »
We finally cut our field today - had to use a topper as our access to a mower has not materialised this year. Weather is looking ok until Friday so hopefully we will get it baled and under cover by Thurs evening. A lot of the bulk of the grass has already gone, but we will get more than enough for our needs and maybe 50 or so bales to sell on. It's more to do with field management than anything else.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2015, 09:05:33 pm »
I still have 7 more fields to cut, I should have cut two days ago but half of my imported heifers, which arrived 6 wks ago, calves, so I have been milking and bottle feeding. I just hope the weathers good for the rest of the week.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Maggy

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2015, 07:01:59 pm »
I was so close to giving up last week & opening the gate for the cattle to have a feast - really glad I held out, we ended up with nearly twice as much as last year's early August crop.  All that rain certainly kept the grass growing!  Feeling relieved.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2015, 08:18:50 pm »
I just cut my second lot today, am baling on Friday as the weathers good for then. Once that's done I am finished for the year.  :relief: :excited:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2015, 09:19:35 pm »
We'll be baling up tomorrow -  :fc:  the baler does it's job. At the end of baling last year it started to miss the knotting on the last few bales but we hope we can source and fix the issue with the 1st bales this year.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2015, 08:46:35 pm »
We did it  :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:
The problem with the knotter of the baler turned out to be a broken twine grabber (technical term don't you know...) and we were filled with dread - but it turned out our neighbour had a Bamford baler sitting in his yard that was being broken for bits so we were able to salvage the requisite part  :thumbsup:
So all spun, baled and now in the barn. We got about 100 bales (300 last year) but the cut was less than good (topper) and not very short, with quite a lot left uncut so quite chuffed with the 100. The field does look like it needs a tidy up though!
Phew

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2015, 10:03:31 pm »
We did it  :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:
The problem with the knotter of the baler turned out to be a broken twine grabber (technical term don't you know...) and we were filled with dread - but it turned out our neighbour had a Bamford baler sitting in his yard that was being broken for bits so we were able to salvage the requisite part  :thumbsup:
So all spun, baled and now in the barn. We got about 100 bales (300 last year) but the cut was less than good (topper) and not very short, with quite a lot left uncut so quite chuffed with the 100. The field does look like it needs a tidy up though!
Phew

Well done such a relief for you , some is always better than none  :thumbsup:

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2015, 03:37:42 pm »
Phew!! What a relief!! Cut on Monday evening, put undercover last night. Rain spots today and light rain forecast for tonight.

I was only able to cut half the field it was so tangled and could only be cut in one direction, but what it lacks in quality it has made up in bulk and at least I should be able to cover most of the winter's feed with it. :fc:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2015, 04:20:18 pm »
Well done to everyone who has cut for hay! :yippee: I baled yesterday afternoon and finished just as the first spots of rain came in. :relief: I was congratulated by a farmer I have never met before, but heard a lot about (lives in the same village as me) about getting my hay in, weird how two people can live on different sides of one village and never meet until now :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS