Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sore hooves - advice needed!  (Read 16983 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Sore hooves - advice needed!
« on: August 01, 2015, 06:26:39 pm »
Hi folks,  I'm sorry to subject you to these photos, but I'm at a loss as to how to help this girl!

Her problems started with pockets developing in her hooves like this (this is one of her back feet):

However, this soon developed into very raw looking sores on her toes. This photo is both of her front feet together, and as you can see, they are a real mess :(:

Can anybody advise what has caused this, and what the correct treatment should be?  :-\

Thanks!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Sore hooves - advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 06:38:58 pm »
Hard to be sure from a photo but looks like footrot.
Should be treated with antibiotic and anti-inflammatory injections with antibiotic spray, then after a few days when less lame, the dried out dead horn can gently be trimmed back.
Just out of interest, how long has this taken to develop and what treatment has she had so far?

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 06:41:34 pm »
Poor girl. I hope you get on top of this soon Womble.
Is it time to retire yet?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 06:55:45 pm »
The first photo, where the horn is away from the foot, could be shelly hoof - sometimes casued by mud getting pushed into the gap between horn and soft tissue when the sheep are on continually damp ground or thick, wet grass, much like getting mud under your fingernails.  I suggest putting her in the shed for a couple of days if you can - it will dry out the foot and make weight-bearing easier for her, if your ground is presently damp.

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 07:25:16 pm »
One of the vets on this forum will probably have a good idea as to what it is  :thinking:

Loobylou

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 07:31:39 pm »
You could inject with alamycin la which is antibiotic, use a foot bath and try keeping them clean, see if it clears it up. Hope this helps

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 07:56:32 pm »
One of the vets on this forum will probably have a good idea as to what it is  :thinking:

FSM nutter is a vet! 

Had they been trimmed prior to this all happening and do they smell?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 09:31:16 pm »
Smell?! If yes, defo footrot. Alamycin LA as suggested already and I would footbath in something like Lameless. If it persists - the vet can inject Micotil (but not you yourself). If you have to use Micotil I would seriously think about not breeding from her again, but I know in a small flock that is a very difficult decision.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 12:19:59 am »
Do I see a mass on one toe looking bit pink. They look real sore. Soak her tootsies in hoof phast or the likes, put her on dry ground to let them dry.  You can plug em with cheviot foot paste, a b spray too, dress them vet wrap, or duct tape and keep her on dry ground, they may improve they may not but I don't think we d keep her. 

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 07:20:17 am »
As well as the alamycyn and blue spray if you can't foot bathe kling on blue( kob) ,who do an.expensive foot bath mix , also do a paste which you put onto the clean foot and in the crevices which is good for improving the foot

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 11:03:23 am »
Thanks All,

I'm really embarrassed to not have spotted something as common as footrot now  :-[.

She's had issues with shelly hoof for about three months (which I did trim back to open up the pocket). Her toes also weren't great, and looked a bit raw. However, this was recovering, and three days ago she was still running around.

I think the footrot must be a new infection which has under-run the previous healing from the shelly hoof - last night I had just thought it was the original condition getting worse.  I didn't notice any smell last night either, though I didn't specifically sniff for it! (I take it the smell is the same as with scald?).

So, the plan is to bring her in later, footbath her with goldenhoof+ and give her a jab of alamycin. I'll then trim off any dead bits once everything has dried up, and will then no doubt be back for more advice. Wish me luck!!  :fc:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 11:13:17 am »
yes, wishing you lots of luck  :fc:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 11:17:04 am »
Awww, poor girl. Hope you can get it under control Womble
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 10:22:17 am »
I used to get a lot of shelly hoof (leading to foot rot).  I stopped trimming and I don't get any now ( :fc: ).  I only trouble I get now is with rams that I buy in that have routinely been trimmed before.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 10:37:03 am »
Foobar, that's very interesting. Im a new sheep keeper and I feel quite worried about our ovine feet: to trim or not to trim? I feel as though Im spending hours a day researching it but just seeing conflicting advice. I heard a report on Farming Today earlier in the year about not routinely trimming at all....... but wont the foot then just grow into an awkward shape and cause lameness and other problems?
Its a real headache for the inexperienced

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS