Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Squitty Lamb  (Read 4236 times)

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Squitty Lamb
« on: August 01, 2015, 06:04:45 pm »
Id like some advice please re 4 month old Ryeland lamb.
We have 8 Ryeland stores. 3 came nearly 3 weeks ago and we haven't had an issue with them. 5 came a week ago but one of those has very loose pooh. The others are fine. I know they were all wormed and fluked in the 3 weeks before we took delivery of them. They are all eating and drinking well, playing and are very bright in themselves. The poohy one is the biggest of the lot ( and just the oldest) and we were told that he was the least friendly.... he isn't coming to us yet for ear-rubs or treats.
I wouldn't say our grass is richer than what he has left, although of course it is a different pasture. We don't give any of them hard feed, apart from a little in our hands as treats. They have access to a haynet but none of them appear to take any.
What do you think and what should I do? 
Is it time to retire yet?

Louise P

• Joined Jul 2015
Re: Squitty Lamb
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 06:52:18 pm »
Sorry, I don't really know, but if it were me, I'd dose it for worms again just to be sure.  Make sure you give it a good dose. Won't do it any harm and will at least rule out worms?  X

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 06:53:56 pm »
Have they been vaccinated? It could be a clostridial problem.
If just a change of pasture, if you could keep him (and a friend or several) in either a shed or a very limited area of grass with just hay to help reduce fresh greens that may help him dry up.
With them having been wormed and fluked, hopefully that should mean no worm or fluke burden, but if not clearing up would be worth a poo sample to vet to check.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 06:57:44 pm »
Might have resistance to the wormer?

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 07:17:40 pm »
thank you for your advice. Yes they are all vaccinated and he's the only one with a problem.
Would it be possible for 1 lamb out of 5 to have a resistance to the wormer used?
Yes I could keep a couple of them in a corral with just hay.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 07:46:16 pm »
Re your squitty lamb, even if he has been worked its worth taking a sample from him only and getting a Feacal egg count done, then worm according to his problem and his weight!! If they were all worked at the same dose and he's the biggest he may not have had enough in which case you will get a resistance problem. So, if he still needs working then weigh him to be sure he gets enough. :idea:

Cocker

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 09:22:53 pm »
Coccidiosis??

If you get a FEC it would give you the answer on this and worms  :thumbsup:

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 10:32:29 pm »
thank you for your advice. Yes they are all vaccinated and he's the only one with a problem.
Would it be possible for 1 lamb out of 5 to have a resistance to the wormer used?

Remember it is the worms that have the resistance, not the sheep.

Underdosing may mean the lamb still has worms.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 10:41:52 pm »
Sorry I notice in my reply that my wormed has come out as worked !!! Don't suppose it's done much of that in it's short life!!

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 11:11:14 am »

Remember it is the worms that have the resistance, not the sheep.

Underdosing may mean the lamb still has worms.

Yes Im sorry I do understand that. I didn't pose my question properly. I meant wasn't it very unlikely that the worms in only one of 8 lambs was resistant to the wormer but none of the other worms in the other lambs were. It doesn't seem very likely to me that he has different types of worms to any of the others as he and his siblings have all been on the same pasture together from birth, given the same feed, wormed at the same time and with the same product.

Anyway....Ive re-wormed him with a different wormer and split him and a mate off with just hay for a while; if no improvement I will FEC him

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 12:50:10 pm »
Not that unlikely, especially if he always been biggest in his group and underdosed every ti e, whereas smaller lambs had enough. I certainly wouldn't just chuck more wormer at him though, from a cost & resistance point of view. Get FEC.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 07:02:36 pm »
thanks, he's fine now

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS