Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Leghorn chicks  (Read 1554 times)

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
Leghorn chicks
« on: August 01, 2015, 08:24:11 am »
I have 6 leghorn chicks with 6 light sussex chicks all looked after by my broody hen all treated the same.  Now the little watsits have started to bully and beat up the light sussex chicks and they are quite nasty with this.  Have had to separate them.  Is this normal behaviour for this bred at such an early age?  Any info welcome please.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Leghorn chicks
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 01:10:57 pm »
Leghorns can be quite feisty I find. Never the calmest of birds. Also be careful if putting them in pens with low sides as they will fly and they can get quite high and go quite far. I've had them fly well over my head before. Wing clipping helps. They do calm down after a year or so though and are then generally normally behaved hens. I've got a cockerel who attacks me whenever I go into the run at the moment and stalks me up and down the fence if I walk by. Unfortunately for him, his replacement has just started treading.........

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS